A surprise visitor on the roof of the coop!

Peafowl will go feral - there are areas of Florida where they are considered pests as they run loose and are breeding like rabbits. This guy should be fine in Georgia running loose - they are very good at fending for themselves.

They eat vegetation and insects/frogs/small animals, etc. They do have a higher protein requirement than chickens, but I feed my guys chicken layer pellets with a handful of cat food thrown in for extra protein and they seem to do very well.

They like to roost up high when running free - they can fly up pretty high and will roost in a tree at night to protect themselves. They can be the devil to catch too if they are loose - if you want him to hang around I'd not spook him at this point by trying to catch him - keep feeding him and wait until he becomes comfortable with you before even attempting to catch him, or try to lure him in a covered pen with feed, rather than going after him with a net, etc.

You can also catch them at night if you can figure out where he's roosting - they are very strong though and will defend themselves by kicking and flogging you with their wings, so trying to pluck on off a roost at night up in a tree on a flimsy ladder isn't such a great idea either...

If you want him to hang around, throw some scratch or layer feed out in the area and he'll figure out where to get an easy meal. I'm sure he'd appreciate that come winter time when feeding himself won't be quite so easy.

Picture???

-S

theres no question of them being feral...but just like domestic turkeys you really dont want these guys running free around here but hey that's just me. If i had a pea show up I'd catch the bugger.

This happens alot, people buy them and when trying to break them to free range. Off they go to a near by chicken flock,or a new home. I sell many peahens to people who have a peacock show up, looking for love.

Quote:
Now I just have to paciently wait for some to fly my way... hey it's possible right!? That or an exotic pheasant would be neat
big_smile.png
well...if i can catch the thing LOL!

Okay, so I was wrong....it's a peahen (show's how much i know).

I put out bread, chicken feed, scratch, lettuce, and water. I tried to create a feast for her.

I left her alone for a couple hours, and went out to check and saw her walking around in the tall hay by the coop. I turned around for a second, and I can't find her now. I'm about to go off to work, so I guess I'll just leave her be. Hopefully she'll find a safe place for the night.

Do they set their nests up in trees or down on the ground? Hopefully she'll decide to stick around and lay some eggs. I'd be nice to have a little flock around here.

Nest On the ground, they roost high in trees.

Also 1 year old peacocks look alot like peahens.

they dont get the colors until 2 and the long train until 3

We had a peacock on our farm outside pittsburgh pa,. they are hardy.

put a mirror up and he would strut for hours.

they are cool birds

Ugh, that is the one thing I'd NOT want to show up. My first husband had them and they SCREAMED all day and night, more than once I considered roasting the "tye died turkeys". One of the best parts of leaving him was getting rid of the birds (and his mother).

If you want it to hang out, feed it, but a flock of them may drive you mad at 3AM.

Probably someone got tired of those LOUUUUDDDD calls and cut him loose. They will travel far. We used to have 6 and then my husband said rehome them or I am going to shoot them. I gave them to a man down the road. They had started roosting over our bedroom and it was so loud I was ready to shoot them!

They are so pretty, and their feathers make awesome things.

You can start feeding him and he will most likely hang out with you.

There is another thread on here somewhere of a lady wanting ideas on how to catch the peacock running around her place. It was eating her chicks I think.

eta: If it is a hen then she needs a peacock to lay some fertile eggs. I say you run over to TN and catch the peacock at the other ladys place, bring it back to yours, and start raising pretty little babies
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom