A Swedish beginner

Jegra

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
After a year with chickens I have realised that backyardchickens.com is an amazing source for information so I decided it was about time to register. To make this easy for me I've used the given template to introduce myself.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, I'm about a year in to my chicken keeping experience. I hatched my first batch, which gave me two gold laced brahmas, in April.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Um, more than I'd like to count...? I'm realising that I'm getting deep, deep into the rabbit hole. Currently I have one brahma, three leghorn-offsprings, one frizzled Polish, four of a Swedish breed named 'Silverudds Blå' (Silverudd's Blue), four Black Copper Marans and seven three weeks old White Leghorns of the Swedish type that is under restoration from saved flocks, since they were about to disappear when the hybrid hens came to use in the 60's.

Oh, and 18 more Silverudd's Blue together with six Copper Marans in the hatcher, due to hatch on Tuesday.

How many is that? 13 grown/semigrown, seven chicks and potentially 24 more chicks. So, say between 20 and 44.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Oh well, I did mention that in the previous question, but in short:

Gold laced brahma (1)
Buffed frizzled polish (1)
Lohman-offspring (3)
Silverudds blå (4)
Black copper marans (4)
White leghorn (old Swedish type) (7)

I plan to have a structured breeding plan for the marans, the silverudds blå and the leghorns with up to five groups.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Keeping animals that are both beautiful, fascinating and productive. See them have a good life and being able to provide the family with eggs and meat.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Horses, history and Star Trek.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm in my forties and live just north of Stockholm with my husband and two children. We have a farm where we plan to keep sheep as well as the chickens and horses. This semester I'm finishing my Master of Laws exam at Uppsala University but I went to an agricultural school in my teens so even though I'm new to chickens I'm not new to animals or farming.

This is my copper maran, Arne.
img_5720_5d99948a2a6b223f20c40975.jpg

The batch of white leghorns.
DSC_0629.jpg

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sounds like chicken math has really struck you, when there are too many chickens to count, you are head over heels addicted!!!! :lol: Lots of us in this position. :gig

Love those Swedish Flower hens!! :love I do not have any but I sure would love to one day. Beautiful birds!!

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community! :)

Wow, what a welcome! Thank you, all of you!

The 'Silverudds Blå' is not be mistaken with the Swedish Flower Hen (Skånsk Blommehöna). They are quite different as far as I know.

Here is a link to a page showing the Silverudds Blå.
http://kulturhons.se/raser/silveruddsbla/
It's primarily a laying hen, developed by a man named Martin Silverudd in the 1980's. They are very beautiful and lay lightly green eggs. I plan to combine some of them with the maran to get the olive green eggs.

And yes, the chicken math is a vey special kind of math. The big mistake was made by my husband when he said that up to a hundred hens could work here. I don't think he realised what he did there...

Back
Top Bottom