A terrible case of chicken math! : )

GitaBooks

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2015
USA
I'm officially obsessed with poultry (not that I ever wasn't a fan of them) but now I just want to keep getting more!

I've only had poultry a few years, and I had some questions that I hoped I could get some answers or opinions on. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

This is our reptile incubator we originally acquired to hatch out our snake eggs. Our snakes, however, didn't lay this year, so it is open for use.
I let it warm up and stabilize. There are two dishes of water for humidity as well as some vermiculite (used regularly in reptile incubators) which holds water for a longer period of time and so make sure the humidity stays stable.
Right now I have the temperature at 101 F, as it is a still-air incubator. The humidity is around 55%. It is in a walk-in closet in the middle of the house to keep it at a constant temperature so it doesn't fluctuate with the heat of the sun.

I put into it a piece of wire so that the eggs were elevated and would get fresh air. Also, I wasn't sure how clean the sponge was. I cut holes in the bottom of the cartons and let the eggs sit for 24 hours before placing them inside. All of them appear to have loose air-cells (not completely detached), that is why they are in the cartons.

Now for my questions:
Is 55% too low?
Should I have it at 100 F or 102 F instead?
When should I start turning the eggs? (I heard from one person to do it after two days and from another after 7)
When, if at all, should I remove the eggs from the carton? (I will tip the wire to turn the eggs, so that they stay upright)

I had another question.

Out of these bantams which one do you think you would want the most:

D'uccle
Silkie
Cochin
Frizzle
Sebright
Old English Game
Quail Antwerp
Partridge Rock
Rhode Island Red
Easter Egger
Buff Brahma

If you would choose two you can do that as well.

Thanks so much for any advise!
smile.png

Another question
smile.png

What would my "Dalmatian" hen's chicks look like if the father was a splash or a blue?

My Dalmatian hen

I'm officially obsessed with poultry (not that I ever wasn't a fan of them) but now I just want to keep getting more!

I've only had poultry a few years, and I had some questions that I hoped I could get some answers or opinions on. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

This is our reptile incubator we originally acquired to hatch out our snake eggs. Our snakes, however, didn't lay this year, so it is open for use.
I let it warm up and stabilize. There are two dishes of water for humidity as well as some vermiculite (used regularly in reptile incubators) which holds water for a longer period of time and so make sure the humidity stays stable.
Right now I have the temperature at 101 F, as it is a still-air incubator. The humidity is around 55%. It is in a walk-in closet in the middle of the house to keep it at a constant temperature so it doesn't fluctuate with the heat of the sun.

I put into it a piece of wire so that the eggs were elevated and would get fresh air. Also, I wasn't sure how clean the sponge was. I cut holes in the bottom of the cartons and let the eggs sit for 24 hours before placing them inside. All of them appear to have loose air-cells (not completely detached), that is why they are in the cartons.

Now for my questions:
Is 55% too low?
Should I have it at 100 F or 102 F instead?
When should I start turning the eggs? (I heard from one person to do it after two days and from another after 7)
When, if at all, should I remove the eggs from the carton? (I will tip the wire to turn the eggs, so that they stay upright)
I would reduce the humidity, i run mine from 35-42%. I check my air cells days 7, 14, and 18 to make sure they are on track.Raising after day 18. I generally raise mine to 75% when I see the first pip, in case i have to open the bator for any reason.Are they shipped eggs? If so you can start turning after 5-7 days depending on how stable the air cells are. You can hatch upright in the egg cartons. But check to make sure none have pipped at the bottom. I think still air is between 101 and 102.

I had another question.

Out of these bantams which one do you think you would want the most:

D'uccle
Silkie
Cochin
Frizzle
Sebright
Old English Game
Quail Antwerp
Partridge Rock
Rhode Island Red
Easter Egger
Buff Brahma

If you would choose two you can do that as well.

Thanks so much for any advise!
smile.png
If I were into bantams I think I would like Sebright as they are very striking and Easter egger for the pretty eggs.

I'm officially obsessed with poultry (not that I ever wasn't a fan of them) but now I just want to keep getting more! I've only had poultry a few years, and I had some questions that I hoped I could get some answers or opinions on. Any advise is greatly appreciated! This is our reptile incubator we originally acquired to hatch out our snake eggs. Our snakes, however, didn't lay this year, so it is open for use. I let it warm up and stabilize. There are two dishes of water for humidity as well as some vermiculite (used regularly in reptile incubators) which holds water for a longer period of time and so make sure the humidity stays stable. Right now I have the temperature at 101 F, as it is a still-air incubator. The humidity is around 55%. It is in a walk-in closet in the middle of the house to keep it at a constant temperature so it doesn't fluctuate with the heat of the sun. I put into it a piece of wire so that the eggs were elevated and would get fresh air. Also, I wasn't sure how clean the sponge was. I cut holes in the bottom of the cartons and let the eggs sit for 24 hours before placing them inside. All of them appear to have loose air-cells (not completely detached), that is why they are in the cartons. Now for my questions: Is 55% too low? Should I have it at 100 F or 102 F instead? When should I start turning the eggs? (I heard from one person to do it after two days and from another after 7) When, if at all, should I remove the eggs from the carton? (I will tip the wire to turn the eggs, so that they stay upright)
I keep my incubator at 50-60 and at 102-103

Duccles and danvers are my favorite bantams. They are sweet and come in many colors. Im hatching out about 14 different kinds.

Back
Top Bottom