A theory....

Bills vs Beaks

Duck Duck Goose
6 Years
Aug 31, 2016
NJ USA
My Coop
My Coop
So lately Ive been noticing that my saxony ducks seem to be "smarter" than my khakis! For instance, I have separate movable houses for each breed. The houses are the same design, but slightly different (window on the opposite side, different nestbox, and different wire on the floor) The saxony were always on the left, and the khakis on the right. The saxonies did seem to know where their house was, and at nighttime when I came out to put them away, they would automatically move to their house (not go in completely, but stand outside). Now I moved the houses around to new grass, and some reason I switched the saxony house to the right, and the khakis to the left. The saxony girls went to the house...on the right. The khakis act like they have no clue!
So Im wondering now....Are they actually smarter? Is it because they are big ducks, and have bigger brains? Does anybody else notice this with their flock? Any duck skeletal experts out there that would know if the brains really are bigger? Im debating with myself whether they would be or not :p

Thanks! :)

That makes sense to me....Calls were wild ducks from Europe, right? So they have some wild instincts, like mallards. But domesticated ducks have some bred out, like not broody and such. What is funny to me is that both khakis and saxony are domesticated...and you would think about the same, or even more so for the saxonies. Which is why I wonder about brain size...

I have a black mix breed that outsmarts me all the time. My Welshies are no where near as smart as her. If she needs to be caught for any reason I start grumbling before I even attempt to catch her. LOL! She is the first one to come running when I pick up a shovel and head towards the garden. She has to inspect anything we are doing. She is the first to realize the ramp is back up after I drain and clean the pool.
I love her to death but it's tough to get outsmarted by a duck all the time. :p

Does anyone have a method of getting your ducks to go back in their enclosure? Since I live in town I can't just leave mine out till dark, they have to be put up if I'm not gonna be outside for a while. When I'm outside they stay near me and in the yard very well but they have started running from me when I try to put them up recently. They like the freedom!

Hehe, been there :p
Herd em from behind. stretch your arms out, flap them around, anything to get them moving away from you. Two people can help too
After a whole you will get better at herding, and they will know where they should go. Doesnt mean they will like it, but they will know.
And stay calm. First few times they will drive you NUTS...Running after them only breaks them up. Calm walking should make them all bunch up and easy to move as one flock :D
Hope that helps ya, and nice to see you ;)

Great advice! They herd pretty good its just getting them up the ramp instead of around and around the pen lol one got on the other side of my fence today and flipped out! Its a big big world on the outside of the fence! Ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom