A Thousand Questions (almost)....Button Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by flspnr, Nov 12, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I saw an add on button quail on craigslist that got me interested in them, and DH and I have a few (or thousand) questions about them!

1. Are they really dirty? DH says that they poop more than they eat and they're really really dirty. I say, I have chickens, they don't get smelly like everyone said they would because I don't have them in a factory - I clean their coop often! I think the quail will be the same. Who's right?

2. Why do they have to be in pairs? Does it have to be one boy and one girl? Can it be two girls?

45. We wanted to have them in the house in a coop for bug eating purposes (we are in Florida and therefor have bugs in the house...). Would that work? Would they need outside time each day? I'm making their "coop", I can make it so I can take it outside every day if necessary.

102. Their coop would need to be about a foot by a foot right? And another coop for another pair? (Were thinking about getting 4). That seems small, but they're small....Wood would work fine? With hardware cloth for the top for ventilation?

263. Since they're so tiny, I read to keep them inside if under 50 degrees. What is their temerature range where they're comfortable? Again, we're in Florida, so it gets pretty hot here.

654. If they're in pairs, a boy and a girl, do I need to worry about hatching eggs? I don't want them to take over the place!

999. What do you do with the eggs? Do you eat them? I'd imagine they'd be too small, and have never had one, would they taste like chicken eggs, lol!? I know, complete newby question there! [​IMG]

And...I think that's all for now. [​IMG] I'm sure I'll come up with more later!!

2. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    The eggs are very big relative to the birds size. They lay a lot of eggs, but are not that broody. I would keep them indoors in a ten gallon tank
    to learn about them before putting them outside. You could supply enough eggs for a light egg using family using button quail. The eggs hatch in
    only 15 days and found them way easier to hatch than other poultry. I think just two would be a risky, I didnt have any luck with them outside in Alabama.
    They are just too attractive a snack for smaller predators. I think very small snakes will get them in Florida outside unless they are completely sealed in,
    which is not practical because they need ventilation. I'm sure you can get fine enough gauge screen but maybe that will be hard to clean.

3. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Quote:Thanks! I wasn't planning on keeping them outside full time, because of the predators and because I read they like to eat bugs, so we need them *inside* here, lol! A trailer in Florida means bugs get inside, no matter how hard you try. [​IMG] I was thinking I would take them outside, but in their coop, during the day for a few hours so they can catch some sun beams but be safe from any predators, and I'd be right there watching (I do the same for my chickens! they only free range under supervision). I agree, the snakes would be a problem - thankfully (**knock on wood!!**) we've never had one get in the house - just roaches and spiders and ants and moths and...yeah, lol!

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:

5. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Thanks Quail Lady!! [​IMG] I'll have to print your post for DH. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by