A Thread About Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by WallabyOfChaos, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Jerry
    The parent cross is Robinia hispida and Robinia pseudoacacia they graft it on Pseudoacacia root stock. Thats why sometimes you see them sucker and flower white.
    If I recall hispid a forms a thicket or can but have a pinkish lavender flower.
    another option is to search for another source.
    Robinia Purple Robe is prone to breakage from wind and snow but I would think the grafts would not fail so easy.

I work for a large California Nursery and we buy in Bareroot shifters for 15's and 24" and rarely have any graft issues.
    maybe start with a larger tree or skip the barefoot and get a established plant in a container

2. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Thanks for the reply. A few years back my daughter lived in Ohio and I remember seeing trees bloom purple that I thought may have been locust. So I thought the purple must be native somewhere. I will have to search the web and see who else sells them.

3. veggietreeigrl

veggietreeigrl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Haha! Too funny. Yes, I meant a peppercorn tree. They are common around here, so everyone just says "pepper tree."

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Yeah I think pepper tree is the right name for them. I'm just clueless, lol.

I have a baby crab apple tree <3

[​IMG]

5. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    the pepper trees we have here in California are in the Genus Schinus
    Schinus molle ( california pepper tree) or Peruvian pepper
    schinus terebinthifolius ( Brazillian pepper tree)

1 person likes this.
  6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

7. veggietreeigrl

Jan 13, 2014
    Southern California
    I would like to plant more trees this year. We had quite a few small trees lining the border of our yard, but many of them died in the drought. I'd like to replace them with some small trees or decent bushes, but they have to be pet safe because my dog will eat any kind of leaf/plant. Anyone have any good ideas? I have one rosemary plant in a pot that I will probably plant soon.

8. Hangtown Farms

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    a lot of what you can plant depends on your climate. what part of social are you in?

9. veggietreeigrl

Jan 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Agua Dulce

10. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    What kind of trees? Just shade trees, or are you looking more for trees that produce edible fruits? If you are just looking for shade trees and aren't opposed to the Honey Locust, I'd be happy to send you some seeds. They grow fairly quickly and are tolerant of drought and poor soil. They can make a mess in Autumn as older trees, though, if they produce pods. But ours are fantastic shade trees and very hardy. And I've got plenty of little beans right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by