A Thread About Trees

Anyone on here live where purple locust trees are native? Ohio maybe? I have bought 2 royal robe grafted trees from Stark Bros. but each time the graft dies after 1 year. I would like to try seed. The rootstock looks like black locust. Plenty of those around here.
Jerry
The parent cross is Robinia hispida and Robinia pseudoacacia they graft it on Pseudoacacia root stock. Thats why sometimes you see them sucker and flower white.
If I recall hispid a forms a thicket or can but have a pinkish lavender flower.
another option is to search for another source.
Robinia Purple Robe is prone to breakage from wind and snow but I would think the grafts would not fail so easy.

I work for a large California Nursery and we buy in Bareroot shifters for 15's and 24" and rarely have any graft issues.
maybe start with a larger tree or skip the barefoot and get a established plant in a container

Thanks for the reply. A few years back my daughter lived in Ohio and I remember seeing trees bloom purple that I thought may have been locust. So I thought the purple must be native somewhere. I will have to search the web and see who else sells them.

Hey, how are everyone's projects going? I soaked some dogwood seeds the other day and put them in a baggie for their warm stratification phase. I'm tracking it over here: http://thedesertpicker.blogspot.com/

And, I found a surprise in our lawn today. A baby crab apple tree! It's quite squashed from the snows, but I'm going to dig it up and pot it to see how it does.

Veggietreegirl, for some reason when you said you had a pepper tree, my brain kept trying to figure out how a bell pepper could be considered a tree
gig.gif
It didn't even occur to me til later that it was a peppercorn tree! I'm so jealous! And I feel a bit dumb, haha
smile.png
That is way cool.

Haha! Too funny. Yes, I meant a peppercorn tree. They are common around here, so everyone just says "pepper tree."

I would like to plant more trees this year. We had quite a few small trees lining the border of our yard, but many of them died in the drought. I'd like to replace them with some small trees or decent bushes, but they have to be pet safe because my dog will eat any kind of leaf/plant. Anyone have any good ideas? I have one rosemary plant in a pot that I will probably plant soon.

I would like to plant more trees this year. We had quite a few small trees lining the border of our yard, but many of them died in the drought. I'd like to replace them with some small trees or decent bushes, but they have to be pet safe because my dog will eat any kind of leaf/plant. Anyone have any good ideas? I have one rosemary plant in a pot that I will probably plant soon.
a lot of what you can plant depends on your climate. what part of social are you in?

What kind of trees? Just shade trees, or are you looking more for trees that produce edible fruits? If you are just looking for shade trees and aren't opposed to the Honey Locust, I'd be happy to send you some seeds. They grow fairly quickly and are tolerant of drought and poor soil. They can make a mess in Autumn as older trees, though, if they produce pods. But ours are fantastic shade trees and very hardy. And I've got plenty of little beans right now.

Back
Top Bottom