A Thread About Trees

I have been ordering tree seeds recently . Minor fruit trees / shrubs . I have nut and fruit seeds stratifying in the fridge . Just a cheaper way to feed my addiction to growing things .

I'm wanting to plant some more trees this spring. So, does any one know of any other nurseries who offer fruit and landscaping trees, with a focus on edible landscaping that will do well in northern climates?

My plum tree that I got a few days ago. Just planted and wondering if I did it right.

Dug the hole double the size of the root ball. Mixed in garden soil and applied mulch, away from the truck. Should I add a little more mulch? I "mounded" the soil around it carefully not to submerge to much of the trunk. Watered it. Is it old enough to be hit with a fertilizer spike? I'm in zone 6.

My plum tree that I got a few days ago. Just planted and wondering if I did it right.

Dug the hole double the size of the root ball. Mixed in garden soil and applied mulch, away from the truck. Should I add a little more mulch? I "mounded" the soil around it carefully not to submerge to much of the trunk. Watered it. Is it old enough to be hit with a fertilizer spike? I'm in zone 6.

it looks a little high but it will be fine. you may want to add another good layer of compost then mulch on top of it

Did you plant it at the same depth it was in the root ball? Typically, you don't want to "bury the trunk." My preference would be to have the tree sitting level with the surrounding soil, with a tiny bit of a basin around the trunk so that when you water it, the water will soak into the root zone instead of running off.

post #4465 of 4465
5/16/16 at 10:30am

• 84b41cf0_BYC_6_yr_badge.gif
I posted on the Tree thread for you . Here is another neat trick for all of you . On red raspberries and thorny blackberries you can take root cuttings and they will sprout new plants . Keep moist is very important . I bought roots off eBay last year . I think the big growers trim the roots when they package for retail and sell the roots to commercial growers . They probably start new fields for themselves this way . I am sure they irrigate to get them started .

So practical use for us backyard growers ? I bought 5 Boyne raspberry plants mail order . They had great roots . I took a cutting off the largest root on each plant . This will not set the original back . So I will now have 10 in the new bed .
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom