A tip for Little Giant users

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! Those thin picture windows are where a great deal of the heat is escaping. No *need* to see in there all the time, so why not cover them until you need to look?
When I started covering the windows here, my LG's were less susceptible to ambient temp fluctuations --- and more stable all around.
How simple is that! I just place a book over each window (be careful not to cover any of the ventilation holes --- they are there for a reason).
smile.png

Lisa

Lisa - question for you as I'm using a LG also.... do you have both of the two holes open? Mine came with both open, but upon reading directions I realized that one should most likely be closed. I've covered it with a glass. Does that sound right? And I'll open that up when it's nearing capacity.

Hope I'm reading correctly!

Thanks for the tip on the windows. Great idea.

Awesome tip Lisa!

i also want to add try putting your LG in a small room where there are no windows or at least a room where the window isn't always open

i have both my LG's in my closet and they work PERFECT temp never drops or anything and i have had not 1 but 2 100% hatches in the past 2 months with chicken eggs and i have had a 100% hatch with quail eggs as well
smile.png

when i need an emergancy small bator, i pull out an older LG and have made two changes to it:
i built an expansion ring to raise the height of it so there is more air circulation, using thick styrofoam board from packing materials.
I didn't want to pay for one from the company and after studying the one on their site (you'd buy one for incubating goose eggs), i made one.
I added a PC fan blowing acrossed the top of the eggs and not onto the eggs. Really helped with the temps and humidty evening out.

Hi Brandy! The only options are plugging or not plugging one of the 2 1/4" holes in the top of the LG (where the red plugs might go).
EVEN with those plugs in / vents closed, there is still the opportunity for ventilation in an LG --- there are air holes in the top and bottom to allow for 'air-excahnge"
I've never closed any of the holes --- maybe there is something to think of there. I never thought of it, but that could contribute to chicks growing well but not hatching .

Great minds think alike. I drape a hand towel (2) over the top and tuck them in a little. One on each side, leaving the vent holes exposed.

well, too bad idind't know this sooner. so those little windows that come in the hovabator too.. the little plastic see through ones? is that why my temp flucuates so much? how come i dind't know that.. ugh.

Thanks for the tip. i did realize that when i put a book on the one(on accident) the temp rose drastically high. so off the book came along with the top to cool it down...

Sue

Back
Top Bottom