A tom and hen?

silky ma

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
I know its early and these two sweetgrass turkeys are just over a month, but already ive noticed differences. Ones a talker the other quiet, one has already started strutting with its wings slightly out and pointed down , one loves to be held and the other not so much-and if you look at the pics one has a straight flat ridge line from head to beak tip and the other doesnt. Any coments.

Attachments

• IMG_5120.JPG
    IMG_5120.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5121.JPG
    IMG_5121.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5122.JPG
    IMG_5122.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 11
They are so cute! :love I can't see much difference between them yet, but as they get a little older you should be able to tell the definite gender of each.
I remember with our first two turkeys that at around a month old I started seeing differences in how they looked (they ended up being a tom and a hen), but that was because I knew them really well - so what you're seeing that I am not seeing is probably because I don't know them, LOL, if that makes any sense. :lau
I'd love to see updated pictures of them as they grow! Love turkeys!

It may be hard to see but remove the snoods and the one on the left has a strait line from top of head to beak while the one on right doesnt and the beaks are different. I am so hoping i have a tom and hen. I started with 14 eggs from texas and only 7 viable then only 2 hatched.
I pm the seller and he sent out another 14 and the same thing 2 chicks. On second batch they made it to one week and bam! One just dies. I know they are fragile but dang!!

Wow! I am sorry that happened. Yeah, out of the five turkeys we've had, only two made it past two months old. And the three that died were hens, the other two who lived were/are toms.

Hard to tell with those pics, but id say both are female. When the one puffs out do the wings stay out for along time or short time say 15 secs. hens can puff out too, the talker sounds like a female they are more vocal. Again hard to tell. do they have spurs?

Back
Top Bottom