A tragedy happened in my Coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by draag80, Mar 27, 2017.

1. draag80

draag80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    Islamabad Pakistan
    On saturday I was trying to catch a rooster for culling as he had a very very horrible and loud crow. It tried to get inside the coop where the hens lay eggs. Its a 5'x 8' room with a door on the front side where the hens go in and come out. I closed the door before he could get in. That door is the only way in and out. Then **** happened. In the heat of thr battle, I forgot to open the door. There were five hens inside.

On sunday, I went to collect the eggs and did not notice as the egg door hatch is on the back side. I was busy with the newly hatched chicks. Was in a hurry.

Today when I went to collect the eggs and noticed eggs on the ground just infront of the entrance. That was the time when I realized what had happened. I rushed to open the door but I was too late. I keep water in the main cage only and not in the laying area. It was a horrible seen. I sweated with shock and could not believe my self. I raised them with so much care and love. I cant believe I committed such a mistake.

I am very very sad and depressed. I cant sleep due to the guilt that it was my fault. But I did not intentionally do it. It was just a mistake.

Guys plz plz be careful with your livestock. Never let a situation like this happen to you. I just cannot forgive my self.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. It's always good to check on your chickens several times a day because we all can forget things.

3. MrsM74

MrsM74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Washington State
    I am so sorry for the loss of your chickens and also the remorse and guilt you are feeling. It was an accident.

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Very sorry for your loss.

It might be a good time to rethink your setup. A 5x8 is plenty big enough to hold food and water.

5. draag80

draag80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    Islamabad Pakistan
    Thanks everyone for the condolences and moral support.

Yes i will definately put a water in the laying area now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by