1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A video of my sweet Silkie rooster brooding his girls like a mamma hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeckDuck, Jan 21, 2014.

1. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    My old Silkie rooster has always been very affectionate, but I never knew he did this until tonight. I checked on the flock and saw him sleeping like he was broody with a hen under each wing. Aww! I happened to have my camera handy and I thought this was so sweet that I felt compelled to share it.

Has anyone else had a rooster who does this? Is it a common behavior for his breed? I've had other Silkie roosters, but they were all far too macho for this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    That is one of the sweetest things I've ever seen! [​IMG]

3. Njinja

Njinja Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    Yaoundé, Cameroon
    My hens have often fought for the positions next to the rooster. They like to cuddle up to him, although not really under his wings like your silkie...I can usually tell who are the top hens in the pecking order by their proximity to the rooster.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks for sharing that! It's totally cute! I have a hen who tries to get under the rooster's wing to sleep. But they're roosting on a perch, and he won't cooperate, anyway.

5. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    That's so cute. I don't blame the girls...nice and cozy under there.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh this is such an adorable rooster...so loving to his girls!

7. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    That is awesome! My hens will climb under each other if the big scary humans stay in the coop too long to check on them.. poor rooster, when they do it to him, he is a Polish, they are all full sized layers... rather comical!

8. DeckDuck

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I'm really happy to have had my camera handy to be able to share it! This little rooster is so sweet, I was grinning ear-to-ear when I discovered him doing this.

One of his girls is trying to hatch some heirs for him, but he's so old and several batches of eggs have failed to develop already. Fingers crossed for a good egg one of these times!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  9. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    I will cross mine for you too! With my rooster being a Polish, I am not sure I wan't him to parent any chicks, lol.. plus I currently have 14 hens... plenty for us, and all fairly young!

10. DeckDuck

Jan 13, 2013
    Quote: That sounds like quite a sight!

ETA: Thanks rojororeo. I know what you mean about not adding to the number of eggs one already gets every day. Lately our kitchen counter top has been overflowing! But setting so many eggs helps to keep them out of the kitchen ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by