A vintage collection

Dresses like that make me look fat.
wink.png

Sizes have changed over the last decade or so. Those that used to be an 8 are now probably a 4
big_smile.png

Makes folk think they're smaller and can afford another happy meal.

Quote:
Sure you would fit. But as Wildsky posted vintage sizes are different. If you wear a modern 4 you'd try on a vintage 6 or 8. If you wear a modern shoe size 6 try a vintage 7 1/2. So when shopping for vintage, always add at least another size, possibly two.

Yeah, I know that is why I hinted....

Also I think the smaller sizes were what people put in the back of their closets for "When I can fit into that again!"

Mahonri - you need to choose colors that don't clash with your chest hair!

I actually have several vintage size 12 and 14 clothing that fit me and I wear between a modern 2 and a 4.

I used to tell people they had to just try it on - you can't go by the size. Of course someone who normally wore a size 4 wouldn't believe you when you suggested they try on the size 14 - most thought it was just a sales pitch but then they would come out of the dressing room and it was too small.

I would size the clothes by trying them on myself and then I would put on the tag "approx. size 6" or whatever my best guess was based upon whether they were too big or too small for me. I got really good at it.

But trust me, women do not like being told they are several sizes larger than they really are.

By the way, I never saw a vintage tag with the size 2, 4 or 6. I think they started at 8 or 10.

I never found less than a 4, but I did find fours. But, I agree that the sizes are WAY different now than they were. I have clothes now that are a size 0. C'mon a zero wouldn't that mean that it wasn't there??

The zeros don't fit anymore... but the older 4s and 6s still do.

Many of my vintage pieces didn't have size tags in them at all......

Quote:
Which is stupid because if you look good and feel good, who cares? It's like when I tell people I weigh 140. They think I should weigh 120. I'm freaking 5' 10"! 140 looks a lot different on me.

I've heard, and I'm sure it's true, that designers have changed their sizes over the years because of that. What used to be a 12 is now a 4.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom