A way to stop roosters attacking.

guinea fowl galore

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Australia
After observing my roosters for a while I have found the answer to stop your aggressive rooster attacking you.

What the roosters do is....
1. Do a stare off, looking like a cobra.
2. Attack.
3. The looser makes a break for it and the winner takes chase. The winner will run and run chasing the looser until either the looser runs and hides or the winner can't run any more.

So what I did is....
1. When the rooster decided to take me on and was doing the cobra stare at my boots waiting for me to make the first move I whacked him on the head with my hand. He didn't know what hit him
roll.png
, jumped up in shock then continued to cobra stare my feet. I then whacked him again and again until he made a move backwards or turned around. At that point you have to make your move towards him in a pushing way, trying to make him run from you. Then start chasing, and don't stop until either your about to die of exhaustion or he goes and hides somewhere where you can't reach him.

I only needed to do this once, now whenever he sees me or I get too close he RUNS jumping over chickens and anything in his way to safety, even though I did this weeks ago. This method would probably work the best if you did it the first time he tries to attack you but it should still work otherwise, you just might have to do it more times.
NEVER use you feet while doing this, as it is your feet they are focused on and one slight movement could make them attack you. and it seems to make them more aggressive anyway.
when I was trying to make him start running from me, at first he wouldn't run so I had to jump ford at him in a threatening pushing way while NOT extending my feet.
I did this to the top rooster and now all of them are scared of me.

I hope his helps and if anybody has an attacking rooster could they please try this and tell me what the result was.

unless this is a prize winning roo freezer camp works great. I would never keep an agressivr roo. That being said this sounds like a good approach if you are determined to keep a roo who is chalangeing you.

You can modify a rooster's attitude, but don't trust him. Especially don't trust him if there are small children involved. It is not worth the risk of irreparable damage to a child. Off with their heads! (One of the few instances where I put people above animals.
lol.png
)

I use an 8' green steel pole to haze my flock. When the rooster starts giving me the crazy eye, I just follow him around for a couple minutes with the hazing pole. He casually walks away from me and acts innocent. I also do this when feeding treats so the girls eat first.

Lol,thanks for the giggle. I don't have a rooster anymore(died young),but love reading about them.

I think all roosters will TRY it at some point. Now having said that and leaving myself wide open I will follow that statement with you have to decide if you want a rooster in your flock...I do and have three flocks right now. And beyond that I think you do have to study their nature and understand the reasons they attack in the first place. We want them to 'guard' our flock, they do that. They also worry over their hens and then we show up and invade their territory. I realized my BR roo came at me finally the day one of his new hens was sitting on a nest and I did not realize it. Although I did realize he was very protective of them when they were laying. He would stand outside the pop door and chatter and would go in and out. Once they were out he took them to the choicest treats.....I have a really good rooster.

I will not turn my back on him.
I will not go in if someone is laying.
And I will not back down from the staring contest either.
AND I go in with a broom or a board in case he has decided he is boss......so I can lift and displace him if needed.

So far, since the first lift and displacement he has not come at me again while I was in the run. But, he follows me around the pen from the inside when I am walking past.....so it is not over yet.

But I will be Chicken BOSS.

Last edited:
Any roo that went after me, or even got to step one of the bad roo list there (cobra stare) to my daughter got on a short trip to freezer camp.

I have two roos now, and neither have challenged me or challenged my daughter.

I like to think that I'm not just head of the pecking order, I am the Chicken Goddess, and they will scoot when I say scoot. Of course, I also rain down gifts for them, and I can't make it out of TSC without some sort of chicken treat (they got a flock block last time). I only have one hen that eats from my hand, the rest of the girls will crowd for treats, but the boys stay away (and I toss them treats so they get a share). I prefer they stay away from me and the toddler, as long as they are good to the girls (and they are). The girls are ok to be close to us, as they are a lot nicer and friendlier.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom