A "What age do they start laying" reference?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reinbeau, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Does anything like this exist? What I mean is a reference that tells the average age at which each breed starts laying. I'm reading here this morning a RIR started at 24 weeks - isn't that late? Some other breeds start at 16 weeks - isn't that early? [​IMG] I've got the five breeds listed in my sig and I'm curious, they're 13.5 weeks old now - do I have 11 weeks to go, or only 3, on average? [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a mixture of 15 week olds and I'm wondering the same thing...is there a reference someplace? Maybe everyone should let us know when their certain breed lays! LOL That would be nice. Everything I read is just listed as being between 18 and 24 weeks. And their comb will be bright red and they will begin squatting when are getting close to laying. If you do find any references, could you let me know? [​IMG]

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I think you're going to find the biggest problem is chickens don't read. I've seen people posting that their chickens are laying at 18 weeks and some who are 36 weeks and still not laying.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Hatchery chickens have been bred for egg production. They have sacrificed some of the standards of the breed to get more eggs. A breeders RIR and a hatchery RIR are hardly the same thing in quality of meeting the breed standard.

Quote:I have some BBS orps that began to lay at 19 weeks. one that laid an eggs at 16 weeks. My Bonnie was nearly 27 weeks before she laid.

I have had a small flock of polish that did not lay until over 30+ weeks.

I have had jersey giants not lay until 32+ plus weeks.

The production average of 18 - 20 weeks is just that - the average for chickens bred for production but is also an average egg when egg laying becomes possible in a pullet.

Think about teen girls and their cycle. Some start at 10 or 11 and some don't until 15 or 16.

Just like with other females they do vary according to individual as well.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it's rather like waiting for your child to take their first steps. Some kids walk at 8mos, others might not until 18mos... so hard to give a good estimate of one single bird.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It sure does just depend on the individual chicken more than even the breed it is. The time of year also can make a difference. I wish they all read the guidelines for when they're supposed to start!!

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Maybe the OP could start a thread where people can list what breeds they have and what age each breed started laying.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Thank you, MissPrissy, for referring to girls and their cycles - that makes sense! I've used the female analogy to explain to people why we don't need roosters for eggs - human females don't need men for eggs, either! Hopefully my hens won't follow my example - I started when I was 15.5 years old, and at 52 still haven't gone through the change [​IMG]

I know, I know, TMI for some [​IMG]

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have one EE who started last week at 16 weeks I think but nobody else laying yet.

10. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Breeder's birds that are close to the standard of perfection will mature slower than production birds bought from a hatchery. I would say hatchery birds will lay 1-2 months sooner than breeder's birds. Just my guestimate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by