Aaaagggghhhh! I have an egg eater!

I had some problems with the chicks I bought at 8 weeks and the one I thought was eating eggs has started laying her own eggs and so far she hasnt eaten them. She would even roll the eggs out of the nest box. Would find eggs in the run after I knew the hen who laid the egg was actually in the nest box. But since she has started laying, the eggs remain in the box untouched. Maybe its a young pullet thing.
Your profile picture is really cute! Is that one of your chickens?

I would give her a Rock for an egg to pound on to start with
he.gif

And if that fails get her out of the coop
hit.gif

gander007
old.gif

Lol That is so funny!!! Your making me laugh.
gig.gif
How did your chicken react to it?
Well I've only heard of it. Luckily I haven't had a any egg eaters yet, which is quite surprising because I've broken tons of eggs in stupid ways. (resting the egg basket on a 2x4 that they like to roost on. Duh!) *KNOCK ON WOOD*

But when I do get an egg eater (which I'm sure that someday I will), I think I'm going to try that first.
wink.png

Hot sauce isn't "hot" to chickens. They may not like the taste of the stuff but the heat won't impact them as they're not equipped with the spicy-hot heat receptors that we have.

I wouldn't immediately assume that you have an egg-eater. My girls have accidentally broken eggs before that had soft shells and they've eaten the contents yet they've never eaten an unbroken, hard shelled egg that was laid in the nest. Could be that the egg was somehow broken and your chicken was doing "clean-up duty" by eating the spilled contents.

As a precaution, I'd up their protein, make sure they're getting plenty of calcium, and feed them first thing in the morning so that they're not hungry at egg-laying time.

Well I've only heard of it. Luckily I haven't had a any egg eaters yet, which is quite surprising because I've broken tons of eggs in stupid ways. (resting the egg basket on a 2x4 that they like to roost on. Duh!) *KNOCK ON WOOD*

But when I do get an egg eater (which I'm sure that someday I will), I think I'm going to try that first.
wink.png
HA! HA! lol
gig.gif

Sometimes the hen actually just accidentally broke the egg, and when they do that they eat it as they don't want to attract predators.

Back
Top Bottom