Aaah!!! So many choices!!!

percyj

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Hey, I was wondering… I want to get a layer duck, and (this is my first duck btw, I have geese, tho…) and I was deciding between Welsh Harlequins and Campbells. According to my mom, they have to be kind and not too ugly… Mothers!!! Lol just kidding! So… any help???
bow.gif

I like Campbells - I think they're prettier, I love the subtle colors. Plus, they come in Khaki, Dark, and White here in the US, so you have a few color choices. I have 2 Khaki and 6 Dark Campbells, and they lay more eggs than our family of 5 can eat.
smile.png

Thx!!! I'm pretty sure I'm going w/ welshies, and personally runners are always funnier to me when they aren't mine!!!!! Now, any tips on raising them??? My first duckies!!!! Yaaaay!!!!
ya.gif

I like Harlequins too--if those were my choices, that's what I would pick. My first batch of ducks was a mixed group, and the khakis were my least favorite. They were just boring and flighty and I couldn't tell them apart, they were all exactly alike! I've never had Harlequins, but I would love to some day.

I raise Runners and adore them, but I totally get how they just don't look right to some folks.
big_smile.png

Tips on raising--get a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread. It's the duck-owners bible, and it's not terribly expensive. You may be able to find one at the library for free, but if you're investing in ducks it's well worth investing in the best manual available. He's got everything from basic duck care and maintenance to handling predators, diseases, and the many other things that can (but don't often) go wrong.

If you just can't convince Mom that the book is a good investment, do some searches on the forum here and then come back with specific questions--there is just so much to know that it's hard to know where to start.
smile.png
I do have a VERY basic care sheet that I send home with the babies I sell, and I'd be glad to email it to you if you'll PM me your email address--it'll give you a starting point for further research, anyway.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ducks. You're going to have fun.
smile.png

Wow!!! Thanks, and I was wondering, do I need to provide anything for them during laying? Like breeder feed and nestboxes? My sebbie geese just lay their ( very few) eggs wherever, but… Also, do you have a list of supplies ducks need throughout their lives? How are they different from geese? Thx
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi again--I'm sending you that care sheet right now--but just for future reference, when putting your email address in a public forum it's usually a really good idea to obscure the format a bit (for instance, heather at careyhead dot net is my personal email address). It prevents spam bots from collecting your email address to send you lots of lovely spam.
smile.png
Also, you can send private messages to users by clicking on the link below their avatar image, and then only they get your email address, which is what I meant by PM me.
smile.png
I'm not complaining, I just didn't want you to think that I was asking you to post your email address in an unsafe manner.
smile.png

Geese and ducks are a lot alike. Some ducks like breeder boxes, some don't. Mine use them more reliably if I put fake eggs (golf balls work well) in them. Some of mine won't use them anyway. While laying, a good layer feed is all they need, plus oyster shell if they don't free range. Mine never use the oyster shell, so I don't provide it.

I'm being called to dinner and must go, but good luck with the duckies. They are wonderful--flightier than geese and not as smart (they're pretty dumb, actually), but much milder tempered and sweet to each other, and the good layers will lay much better than a good goose layer. Enjoy!

Ok!!! I figured out the PM thing. Thank you for the info! I'm new at this posting stuff!

Back
Top Bottom