1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aaracana, Ameraucana, (Americana), Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DreamsInPink, May 13, 2016.

1. penny1960

penny1960 Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    No one can question why I leave the breeding to you and just pay
    you for them [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    lol. I've done my homework. When you're trying to work towards creating a true-breeding line of Easter Eggers, it pays to know the history of what you are dealing with...

3. penny1960

penny1960 Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I did that with dogs and genome for 35 years them
    I am the cats meow or was. Chickens are best left
    to those that have cared enough to do it right.

1 person likes this.
  4. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much for all that.. gosh. As I said, so complex. So back to my EEs that I have coming in June... how good are they odds I'll get pretty eggs? I ordered 3 EEs in hopes of getting maybe 3 different colors eggs. Do they ever lay white or brown eggs?

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You will most likely get shades of blue or green, but there is always a chance for white, cream, shades of brown, or pink. That's why they are called Easter Eggers. And you never know what color a pullet will lay until she finally does. That's part of what makes them so much fun.

1 person likes this.
  6. DreamsInPink

Yes, I'm really thinking about ordering a few more! I'd love a nice array of colors in my egg basket someday. :D Pink would be awesome... I'm partial to pink. *pokes my username* LOL

Can you tell me how well they typically lay?

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Typically, they are good layers. Mine lay just about every single day. Occasionally, you may get one that is a poor producer. I had one like that. She was too inconsistent with her laying for me to ever consider using her for breeding. Plus she was a stressed out little basket case, another thing that made her unsuitable for my breeding program. My other hens have wonderful temperaments. Docile, but still assertive enough to hold the top positions in the flock.

8. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I like mine. They are much more vocal then my Barr Rock and more skittish but they are easy temperaments and lay pretty green eggs.

9. DreamsInPink

Are the poorer producers very common? But with hatchery chicks, it's probably more common... unfortunately.

Since you mentioned 'top positions in a flock'... have you ever found a younger chick to take over a flock of older pullets? I'm just curious about how my flock dynamics will play out. When it's all said and done, I will have had 5 different ages being integrated by mid summer or early fall.

I'm sorry for all the questions....

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    As pullets mature, flock dynamics can and do change. Whether or not a pullet will eventually take the top position largely depends on both the temperament of the younger bird and the older birds. In my flock, my oldest Easter Egger hen reigns supreme. She has never been aggressive in asserting her dominance, but a glance from her will send a lower ranking bird running. She's a strong, but gentle top hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by