Abanded partial hatched egg, please help!

Beckys Birds

Songster
May 27, 2022
South Central Kentucky
So, this is my first time letting any of my ducks go broody and hatch eggs all on their own. Opal, the Cayuga mama, hatched out seven beautiful ducklings. However, she abandoned the eighth piping egg.
I believe it was because my husband wrapped hardware cloth around the bottom of the duck house, disturbing her. She actually went broody under the house, it's on stilts and sits 27" above ground, so there is plenty of room. He was just making it so the babies couldn't get stuck outside the electric fence,away from mama.

My question is, I've brought the hatching egg into the house, and put it under the heat lamp as well as moistened the membrane. She keeps peeping every once in awhile, so I know she's alive. What else can I do? I really want to give this baby a fighting chance. It's been trying to hatch now for about 12 hours, seven of which Opal has been off the nest with the other ducklings.
I do not have an incubator, because all this hatching stuff was supposed to be Opal's job! 😆

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-181139_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-181139_Gallery.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 19
So, this is my first time letting any of my ducks go broody and hatch eggs all on their own. Opal, the Cayuga mama, hatched out seven beautiful ducklings. However, she abandoned the eighth piping egg.
I believe it was because my husband wrapped hardware cloth around the bottom of the duck house, disturbing her. She actually went broody under the house, it's on stilts and sits 27" above ground, so there is plenty of room. He was just making it so the babies couldn't get stuck outside the electric fence,away from mama.

My question is, I've brought the hatching egg into the house, and put it under the heat lamp as well as moistened the membrane. She keeps peeping every once in awhile, so I know she's alive. What else can I do? I really want to give this baby a fighting chance. It's been trying to hatch now for about 12 hours, seven of which Opal has been off the nest with the other ducklings.
I do not have an incubator, because all this hatching stuff was supposed to be Opal's job! 😆
I don't have ducks, but can you help her out of the shell and keep her warm under the heat lamp, then see if momma will take her in th A.M.? I can't bear to think of her or him dying in there when they are trying to get out 😪

I don't have ducks, but can you help her out of the shell and keep her warm under the heat lamp, then see if momma will take her in th A.M.? I can't bear to think of her or him dying in there when they are trying to get out 😪
I've seen what can happen when you pull on the shell, it can hurt the baby and cause them to bleed out. She's onder the heat lamp now, right next to me. She keeps peeping and breathing, so maybe she's just tired and was cold for so long.

Awww! Do you see any veins or blood? I would start breaking the shell open, going along the fat end of the egg. Read the article in my signature (if you're on a phone turn sideways to view).
She looks like she's definitely ready and if she's in there much longer you might lose her. Best of luck!

I've seen what can happen when you pull on the shell, it can hurt the baby and cause them to bleed out. She's onder the heat lamp now, right next to me. She keeps peeping and breathing, so maybe she's just tired and was cold for so long.
Do you actually see any blood? She looks really dried out and stuck. Moisten the shell and membrane and see if you can get her out. Just chip along the shell in a circle.

I agree she looks possibly shrink wrapped. Can you take a picture showing the membrane around her bill? If it looks stuck onto her feathers you can gently loosen it so it can move.

Back
Top Bottom