Abanded partial hatched egg, please help!

Thank you all for your help! Peepers is FREE!!!
She is now resting under the heat lamp.
As a side question, is the cloaca supposed to look like that?
Yay!!!
Do you mean the navel? It's normal for the navel to be kind of rough and red after a tough hatch like that. Just keep it clean and don't let any birds peck at it. You can put a drop of iodine on it.

Excuse my ignorance!😆
I just thought the big pink circle towards the back was a cloaca.
20220529_193003.jpg

I don't have ducks, but can you help her out of the shell and keep her warm under the heat lamp, then see if momma will take her in th A.M.? I can't bear to think of her or him dying in there when they are trying to get out 😪
Omg! I had no idea about hurting them in the shell. I have never hatched any chickens, ducks, etc. Thank you for letting me know in case I am ever in that situation.

Omg! I had no idea about hurting them in the shell. I have never hatched any chickens, ducks, etc. Thank you for letting me know in case I am ever in that situation.
I guess you just have to be really careful. I practical drenched her before and during shell removal. I didn't have to peel much shell away, I made sure not to peel any membrane. Once she noticed I was helping her, she gave mighty heaves. During one such heaving stretch, I held the egg up and let gravity help. Once she was mostly out, I let her get the rest of the way out, then put her under the heat lamp in the bedroom. In her little box I placed a little ball zebra and a pair of soft wool socks. She chose the zebra ball to cuddle with.
She is now all fluffy and out with her new mama and nest mates.
I have everyone here to thank,for giving me the confidence to help peel Peepers egg shell.
20220530_113902.jpg
20220530_123345.jpg

Just so you know geese are clumsy around little ones my gander accidentally stepped on a new duckling once and after that the mama duck and ducklings get to spend time separated from the rest of the flock but where they can all still see each other. After a couple of weeks, the ducklings are able to stay out of the way of those big feet.

Just so you know geese are clumsy around little ones my gander accidentally stepped on a new duckling once and after that the mama duck and ducklings get to spend time separated from the rest of the flock but where they can all still see each other. After a couple of weeks, the ducklings are able to stay out of the way of those big feet.
We tried separating them, but the geese broke down the 'door' to under the house, where the nest is. They seem to stand slightly apart from the ducklings, like they just need to watch them.
We are going to just watch and see how it all plays out. Thank you for your concern, though!❤️

Back
Top Bottom