Abandoned baby chicken. Please help

The boiler room is 85 and we just switched out the bulb for a heat bulb so hoping that will push it up to 90. I admit it was a bit chilly today for her (low 80’s) but now we got that bulb I’m hoping she’ll perk up a bit. Will update everyone in a couple hours.

I would hold her up to my body but I’m too worried about them pesky mites. The dia-Earth helped a lot but I still see them crawling up my arm. Don’t suppose you know if humans can get infested too?
Humans won’t be infested.

The boiler room is 85 and we just switched out the bulb for a heat bulb so hoping that will push it up to 90. I admit it was a bit chilly today for her (low 80’s) but now we got that bulb I’m hoping she’ll perk up a bit. Will update everyone in a couple hours.

I would hold her up to my body but I’m too worried about them pesky mites. The dia-Earth helped a lot but I still see them crawling up my arm. Don’t suppose you know if humans can get infested too?
Are you sure they are mites and not lice?

Mites/lice are nasty little creatures. I would try to get some Permethrin dust ASAP. As for the DE, I have heard that it may work for a few days, but the infestation comes back. Mites and lice affect adult birds as well and she is just a chick. Definitely needs to go.

Esh! Pesky mites :sick
I have worn my solo or found chicks in a neck scarf. It really helps but getting or finding a baby chick friend helps best. I guess if the chick makes it another day then it may be time to chat about the mites.
Yeah, well we trade in our complaining dads for complaining partners lol. Stay single till you choose wisely 😉 then the negotiations will be fun. I like the warm water bottle idea. Be sure to wake up during the night and warm it up again. Hope all is well. I'm looking forward to seeing this little cutie grow up.

hey guys. Just got home and went to check up on her. Got the temp all right and everything in the boiler room (nice happy 90) and She wasn’t good at all. Barely alive. So I suspect maybe something else was going on outside of just the temp. Maybe from where she wasn’t eating before she just wasn’t strong enough to carry on. Tried to feed her the food soup and she ate a bit but I suspect she couldn’t get it down properly. Maybe I made it too pastey? Although maybe she just passed coincidently at the same time.

She started flapping like crazy then making clicking noises and then bubbles came out of her mouth and she passed. Was a pretty horrific and sad ending. Glad I got to be with her though in her final moments.

Went back to where I found her and buried her with her siblings.

I’d like to thank everyone for their help and support and hopefully next time I’ll be able to do a little better with all the knowledge I gained

hey guys. Just got home and went to check up on her. Got the temp all right and everything in the boiler room (nice happy 90) and She wasn’t good at all. Barely alive. So I suspect maybe something else was going on outside of just the temp. Maybe from where she wasn’t eating before she just wasn’t strong enough to carry on. Tried to feed her the food soup and she ate a bit but I suspect she couldn’t get it down properly. Maybe I made it too pastey? Although maybe she just passed coincidently at the same time.

She started flapping like crazy then making clicking noises and then bubbles came out of her mouth and she passed. Was a pretty horrific and sad ending. Glad I got to be with her though in her final moments.

I’d like to thank everyone for their help and support and hopefully next time I’ll be able to do a little better with all the knowledge I gained
Oh no! :(

But like I said in the beginning, the odds were against you. She was already in pretty bad shape.

Just to add, it isn't odd for a bird to flap before it dies. Not too uncommon for some of the components of their crop to come up either. You did a really good job considering everything! ❤️

I think you did great with what knowledge and supplies you had! And I love how you brought her back to where her siblings were, to bury her. That was a sweet touch that not many would have thought of♥️

Back
Top Bottom