Abandoned baby quail

Kiwithequail

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
Hi everyone!

Long story coming up; Our neighborhood has a lot of Gamble’s quail and during 4th of July we believe that the parents abandoned their nest right in my neighborhood. A couple of the babies were dead; not sure what happened to them and then there were a couple that were alive. The day after my friend found a baby laying practically lifeless on the sidewalk close by the others. We did wait to see if any parents came but none ever showed; which seems strange since I always see the parents with the babies, never babies by themselves. She brought her to me and well it’s been three days and she is thriving. Although; now I think she believes I am her mom... I am unsure what I could do. I know they are social animals and it breaks my heart to think of dropping her off somewhere; she literally crawls and sleeps in my hand and chirps for me then when I come she crawls and nuzzles inside my hand. I also want to do what is best for her...

Attachments

• 0B25CCF9-3DBD-4EC0-9BF7-237BABE3BB0B.jpeg
    0B25CCF9-3DBD-4EC0-9BF7-237BABE3BB0B.jpeg
    784.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 1009AFFA-5A87-4EC1-BC16-2096A5FD665B.jpeg
    1009AFFA-5A87-4EC1-BC16-2096A5FD665B.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi everyone!

Long story coming up; Our neighborhood has a lot of Gamble’s quail and during 4th of July we believe that the parents abandoned their nest right in my neighborhood. A couple of the babies were dead; not sure what happened to them and then there were a couple that were alive. The day after my friend found a baby laying practically lifeless on the sidewalk close by the others. We did wait to see if any parents came but none ever showed; which seems strange since I always see the parents with the babies, never babies by themselves. She brought her to me and well it’s been three days and she is thriving. Although; now I think she believes I am her mom... I am unsure what I could do. I know they are social animals and it breaks my heart to think of dropping her off somewhere; she literally crawls and sleeps in my hand and chirps for me then when I come she crawls and nuzzles inside my hand. I also want to do what is best for her...
Get some more and keep her

#1 where are you located.....you may want to check state laws regarding quail especially if they are native species
#2 make sure you have gamebird feed crushed up electrolytes and/or nutridrench wouldn’t hurt either
#3 if you don’t plan to add more quail chicks as friends, you may want to add a stuffed animal and/or mirror to the brooder as comfort
#4 great job saving this little one and welcome to byc!!

In general since it’s an only chick you could probably put it in with a couple coturnix chicks and it would do well....personally I would not recommend adding bobs because of the permit requirements etc.

Well I searched for more abandoned chicks and couldn’t find any. I don’t think I have the room to keep her because I believe Gambles need lots of room. Do you know if I can mix species? Like if I got a couple bobwhites?
Since it is a chick you could mix it and it wouldn't know the difference on space either it would just adapt to the smaller area

Well I searched for more abandoned chicks and couldn’t find any. I don’t think I have the room to keep her because I believe Gambles need lots of room. Do you know if I can mix species? Like if I got a couple bobwhites?

Maybe there's a local wildlife rehab that could take her or give you advice?

#1 where are you located.....you may want to check state laws regarding quail especially if they are native species
#2 make sure you have gamebird feed crushed up electrolytes and/or nutridrench wouldn’t hurt either
#3 if you don’t plan to add more quail chicks as friends, you may want to add a stuffed animal and/or mirror to the brooder as comfort
#4 great job saving this little one and welcome to byc!!
Hey Muddy!
Thanks for the response. I actually had found a bigger farm for her to go to as I didn’t have enough room for her. It is actually illegal to keep a wild bird here; but I called numerous rescues and they were either closed or not getting back to me. I had given her sav a chick probiotic and taught her to eat and drink and I was giving her game bird food that the feed and tack place told me to feed her. She was thriving and doing so well! And then yesterday, she died in my hand. I have no idea what happened but I was heartbroken. I am wondering if she was dehydrated or the brooder wasn’t warm enough? So strange because the five days I had her she seemed to be getting better and better every day. I even brought her back when she was practically on the brink of death once. I was also super bummed because I had found a big farm for her to go to... I would love to get some coturnix or bobwhites to raise since they don’t need as much room; I just hope I can help the chicks survive.

Hey Muddy!
Thanks for the response. I actually had found a bigger farm for her to go to as I didn’t have enough room for her. It is actually illegal to keep a wild bird here; but I called numerous rescues and they were either closed or not getting back to me. I had given her sav a chick probiotic and taught her to eat and drink and I was giving her game bird food that the feed and tack place told me to feed her. I also had a mirror for her;) She was thriving and doing so well! And then yesterday, she died in my hand. I have no idea what happened but I was heartbroken. I am wondering if she was dehydrated or the brooder wasn’t warm enough? So strange because the five days I had her she seemed to be getting better and better every day. I even brought her back when she was practically on the brink of death once. I was also super bummed because I had found a big farm for her to go to... I would love to get some coturnix or bobwhites to raise since they don’t need as much room; I just hope I can help the chicks survive.

Back
Top Bottom