Abandoned Chick

Lrpete

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
I need some help. This is my first hatch by one of my chickens. I have a Buff Orpington who set her first clutch of 5 eggs. On Monday, she hatched 2 and hatched two more yesterday. This morning, the 5th one hatched, but mama has been ignoring it in favor of the other 4. I was worried the chick might die as it was by itself at the other end of a 6’ brooder box in the coop and was getting chilly, so I brought it into the house and it’s now on a towel on my lap with a heating pad on top. It’s only about an hour old and isn’t standing yet. Where do I go from here? Should I put it in a heated box until it’s 2 or 3 days old then put it back with mom, or should I raise this one separately?

2298785F-52F6-48AA-B447-DC435DDEBC22.jpeg

:welcome Once it has become more mobile, I would slip it under the hen in the evening.
Thank you. I’ll try that. It’s already getting stronger and moving around under the heating pad. I gave it a couple sips of electrolytes to help it get stronger.

After giving the little tyke some electrolytes and a couple hours under a heating pad, ”Champ” started complaining more and seemed to be Stronger. So, I took the little tyke to the coop and put it under mom. She seems to be accepting Champ and the baby seems to be doing well. A little behind the siblings, but trying to eat the chick feed along with the siblings. I’ve put some dried meal worms and bugs in a cup and it’s like a feeding frenzy in the brooder! 😂 🦈 Mom showed the other chicks how to eat the bugs and they just love them! I‘m keeping an eye on Champ to make sure he continues to get stronger and isn’t harmed by mom.

Here’s a picture of Champ before I took him back to mom.

Attachments

• 8171F1E7-0A4D-49EE-B9FB-D80D36C6E89D.jpeg
    8171F1E7-0A4D-49EE-B9FB-D80D36C6E89D.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom