Abandoned chickadee egg!! Please read!

Lucky1

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yesterday at school i was leaning up against a tree and noticed behind my head was a birds nest. I looked in it and found 6 eggs in it. 1 was crushed and the others were OK.It was recess and i hadn't seen the parents for all of my 1 hour break. i was worried that the kids at my school would smash the rest of them so i promised that i would get my incubator up and running that night and bring them home today. Today near the end of the day i came and checked the eggs at checked to see if the parents were anywhere near. All of the eggs were smashed except 1 and directly below the nest there were sticks with the goo from the egg on it. someone poached them :( I quickly put the egg in my bra (to keep it warm) and very carefully took it home on the bus. I candled it when i got home and there defiantly was an embryo inside. whether it is alive or not i do not know.
If i had of left it there it would have had no chance at all, i am trying to give it a chance. I also know that there is not much of a chance of it hatching but i am willing to give it my best effort.
Does anyone have any information that could help me?
I know that it takes 12-13 days for it to hatch and i have it at 99 degrees in the incubator. From my limited knowledge of hatching chicken eggs i would say that it is only a couple days along. Otherwise the nest would have been destroyed long ago. Any person experience or secret websites that i cant seem to find would be appreciated. :p
Thanks, Lucky
p.s. also candling pictures that could be applied to chickadees would be wonderful.

We did this once with bluebirds. Both parents died so we took the eggs and incubated them just like chicken eggs and they all hatched! Good luck!

That's so cool! How could you tell how far along they are? Are they just a small version of a chicken egg or did they just suddenly start hatching on you one day? ;)

Back
Top Bottom