Abandoned Chickens in My Yard!

Gosh! A sack! That is the wildest part of the story to me that the perpetrator dropped them off in a bag. Totally nuts. I’ve have two chickens that wandered into my yard who I suspect were drop offs. But thankfully they were in good health.

I’ve dealt with leg mites on some silkies I took in from a woman who had had a stroke (not a drop off, she was kind enough to ask if I could take in her birds). If your experience is like mine you’re in for a big job with these birds. Those mites took a looong time to get rid of. I had to re apply the Vaseline for weeks. The roosters were pretty wild and hated being picked up so it was awful. But stick with it and they’ll improve. Lots of work though. Good luck. Those are some pretty birds.

Gosh! A sack! That is the wildest part of the story to me that the perpetrator dropped them off in a bag. Totally nuts. I’ve have two chickens that wandered into my yard who I suspect were drop offs. But thankfully they were in good health.

I’ve dealt with leg mites on some silkies I took in from a woman who had had a stroke (not a drop off, she was kind enough to ask if I could take in her birds). If your experience is like mine you’re in for a big job with these birds. Those mites took a looong time to get rid of. I had to re apply the Vaseline for weeks. The roosters were pretty wild and hated being picked up so it was awful. But stick with it and they’ll improve. Lots of work though. Good luck. Those are some pretty birds.
Thanks for the heads up! Fortunately these are pretty sweet. We soaked the hen in warm water with some Epsom salts this morning. She had a lot of manure still stuck in her backside from diarrhea. We cleaned her feet and saw no signs of mites but put vaseline on her legs as a precaution. We are going to soak the roosters feet tonight in the same solution and use a blend of vaseline with a calendula salve.

Sounds like You’ll have them in great shape & that you have lots of good remedies for them. Only think I can think to add would be maybe a yeast extract, diamond v or Kalmbach makes it. And maybe a protein boost to help the feathers grow back.
Thanks for suggesting the yeast! I'll check into it today. 🙂 I've upped their protein and they both are showing signs of new feather growth. My rooster is looking a bit less ragged. 🎉🤞🐓

Read this in one sitting, God bless your heart. Those poor birds had nobody to care for them, or weren't cleaned... Are they new to handling? do they freak when you try to pick them up? Or do they like it?
They do appear new to handling but have obviously had some degree of contact. The rooster is thus far gentle and the female still a bit skittish but sweet. I'm using treats to try to warm them up to me and I go and sit with them.

Back
Top Bottom