Abandoned ducklings...What to do? *pic added!!!

they and all wild ducks are just that wild birds. They havent got a clue what chick starter is. The use of live prey like meal worms placed in their feed helps get them going. They are used to eating small aquatic creepy crawlies not crumbles. That and they are just wild as all get out. Their natural instinct to climb out of cavity nest runs over to the brooder. Often times they'll spend all day just trying to climb out, even captive rasied ones do this, in captivity the wood duck is still the most wild acting speices of over 100 out there.
All this put together just makes them hard for folks that are used to domestic ducks or other barnyard fowl.

here's some links that may help

the migratory bird treaty act

http://teeic.anl.gov/lr/dsp_statute.cfm?topic=3&statute=160

here's an exhert from it

Unless and except as permitted by regulations made as hereinafter
provided in this subchapter, it shall be unlawful at any time, by any
means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to
take, capture, or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to barter,
barter, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, export,
import, cause to be shipped, exported, or imported, deliver for
transportation, transport or cause to be transported, carry or cause to
be carried, or receive for shipment, transportation, carriage, or
export, any migratory bird, any part, nest, or eggs of any such bird, or
any product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed
in whole or part, of any such bird or any part, nest, or egg thereof,
included in the terms of the conventions between the United States and
Great Britain for the protection of migratory birds concluded August 16,

here's the wildlife rehb directory

just enter your zip code and it will pull up locations for you

http://www.wildliferehabber.org/

Last edited:
Although it is possible to transmit diseases from domestic waterfowl to migratory birds, it's a lot less common than it may seem. This has been hotly debated for years, mainly because of the release of captive bred mallards for hunting. In numerous studies, the results have shown that although it is possible it usually takes large numbers of released captive birds, to affect a population of wild ducks. There's really been a lot less incidences of diseases ravaging wild flocks found in the research and most involved less than 22 birds.

The wild is by no means disease free either. More than 70 different diseases or potential disease conditions are recognized in wild migratory waterfowl. They have more immunity than we give them credit for.

That aside, it is illegal to remove birds from the wild, and you should call a licensed facility. However, I have contacted fish and wildlife on many occasions about wild birds and been told they simply don't have time to respond to all calls. I was advised more than once to pick up the bird/animal and drop it at a facility if I could find one to take it. Even if it took 24 hours.

While I agree with much of what has been posted here by Boggy bottoms, and others, the truth of the matter is, outside of informing people of the law, which has been done MANY times already in this topic, there's nothing more you can do. People will make their own choices, and the consequences, if any, will be theirs.

I have had the same experience that Aduckstolemyheart has when calling official people for help with animals. I have even been told how to catch animals that need assistance and given advice on how to handle them.

How are the little wood ducks doing? I hope they're OK as it's been some time since they were rescued.

Good luck with the decision.

Expert opinion added:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wildlife-2507/Raising-6-wild-Mallard.htm

Question
We rescued six ducklings from a storm drain, mother no where to be found, and we have no way of knowing how long they were down there. They are in a cage in my house, being fed turkey starter (unmedicated)and always fresh water. We've learned not to let them swim yet, because hypothermia is an issue, since mom isn't there to coat them with oil.

We are wondering if we continue to feed and raise them, eventually putting them in an outside pen, because we have a fenced backyard, and we will lock them in a cage at night because of raccoons, etc....will they just fly away when their wings are ready one day, probably this fall, or will they prefer to stay with us, since they will have imprinted with humans? Our desire is to release them, but not at their peril. I've heard that they will fly away, but may return on a regular basis. We own some land on the Snoqualmie River, and were wondering if we should take them down there (about a mile from our house) and release them when they are ready. I would worry that they would not be able to find out house, if they needed to return to eat until they were good at foraging themselves.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sincerely, Pat Yolton
Snoqualmie, Washington

They will probably migrate naturally if you limit the contact you have with them. You can raise them into healthy and normal adults if you continue to provide feed and shelter them from predators in the manner you outline.
I am very familiar with your area, having lived on Steven's Pass myself for several years... I would recommend that once your ducklings begin dabbling in water for their food, can swim well and of course have learned how to preen their feathers to waterproof them, (The mother does NOT do this for them... it is a skill they develop on their own)You should take them to a spot where other ducks frequent and release them.
They will gravitate to the other ducks if you do not imprint them or influence them with your presence. When you feed them, do not handle them or teach them to eat from your hand. Feed them by sprinkling their food in their water and leave. Do not habituate them to humans being nearby when they eat.
Ducklings are cute and cuddly but they are not domestic pets. Remember they are wild animals and too much contact with you is a death sentence. You saved them from certain death by rescuing them from the drain and now it's your job to see them grow and become wild like nature intended them to be. It is possible they will return to your land when they travel your direction, but they should continue along their way if you do not leave food to tempt them to stay.
Releasing them around other ducks (wild) will give them someone to follow and learn about being a duck from. They WILL naturally want company from other ducks if you release them as soon as they develop adult waterproofing ability.
Try to find a local rehabilitation facility near you and ask where they might suggest finding wild ducks, they might even have someone who can better care for these babies to give them the best chance for wild release possible...
Good luck Pat, you did a good thing by saving these guys.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with you
Wasnt saying that it was 100% going to happen. People here just seeming to wonder WHY they couldnt just help themselves to them.
The disease issue is 1 of the first ones they will tell you as an example of why. Yes they have disease in the wild too, but the barnyard strains and wild strains are often very different. Immunity comes to the strain which they are most commonly exposed to.
That and often people will get them and just keep them as pets, which is obviously a no no under the MBTA from the USDI.
Yet folks on forums seem to get all up in a tizzy when you try to explain the LAWS on wild animals and especially migratory waterfowl. One threads already been locked because of it. They say, oh they are so cute etc etc I'd just keep them....Well in good conscience, I cant' let a person of any age be told that's the correct thing to do. Neighbors, folks on forums, etc , some one will eventually turn you in for it . Being Federally protected is a pretty big deal whether we like it or not..plain and simple they are part of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the USFWS will be pretty darn strict when they want to.
Taking them to rehab centers is the only legal option, period, and that has to be done within a reasonable time frame 1-2 days tops, with immediate notification as a mandatory requirement.

Yes on a personal call, they arent going to care, WHY? This is nature. Whether we like it or not, ALL animals have to eat in the wild.
Yes save the cute ones I know I know... that is the common thing. What about the mother fox with a den of starving kits? They are as adorable as can be too. What do they eat? anything mama can bring back to them.
Cold and cruel? No it's just nature. The USFWS and State DNR's understand this. That's why when some one not familiar with the outdoors calls and says there's a baby duck on the pond, they dont just drop everything and come running. They see it every day nothing new to them.

anyway at this point , as Aduckstolemyheart said, the law has been explained, from there do what you like, but dont be shocked when you get a fine for keeping them if that is the choice that is made.
All the proper contacts have been listed by now.
For those who dont think it's a big deal... well it can be when they come knocking on your door. I have been a licensed migratory waterfowl breeder for many decades and they dont play with it when it come to them. Paper work out the ying yang, random inspections, all birds have to be permanently marked at hatch to show they are captive, etc... let them find an infraction, they itch for it. All this is done to STOP folks from taking them from the wild.

Even with the best of intentions in mind, the cold hard fact is, if you dont get them immediately to a rehab center, you are breaking Federal Law when it comes to migratory waterfowl, regardless of kind and proper intentions. Yes they would rather an animal eat them in a natural manner that us to take them... dont like...dont blame me, just stating the facts, contact your Senator and complain to him/her. That's the only way to change a law.

Back
Top Bottom