Abandoned ducklings...What to do? *pic added!!!

Quote:
no need to assume
they ARE wood ducks, 100% positive. I've raised hundreds if not thousands of them.
As mentioned wild caught is illegal though, you have to buy them licensed captive bred breeders.
As duckluck and other mentioned, they will burn your butt whether we think it's right doesnt matter.
I dont think making me wear a seat belt is any of their business either, but they'll sure write me a ticket for it if they see it.

Thing is, now this is on a public forum, and some folks just have nothing better to do that to turn you in for it.

Dump them back where you got them, or call the local DNR and turn them over

Put them back in the local beaver pond so they will ALL be dead within 24 hours from predators. Then, at least the Feds will be happy. Just like when you're duck hunting and you shoot a woody just before shooting light ends and it dives on you only to pop up 100 yards downstream right after shooting light ends. You get to walk away with a wounded duck sitting on the water because it's illegal to shoot at after sundown.

Last edited:
I will not comment on the whole government bullying issue, since I too think it is a crock of poo, however I will say that those are in fact wood ducks, mandarin ducklings have slightly different facial markings and if I am correct also a white tip on their beak... though on that I am not positive, they are however wood ducks, you need to call DNR and have them pick them up, I wouldnt want to leave them where I found them either, so call a nice ranger and let them thoroughly know you didnt realize it was illegal to pick them up, atleast then you wont get a ticket, or you could put them where you found them and stand/sit there to protect them after you call DNR and tell them where you are and that you arent leaving until they come and get them and that if they dont you will take them home with you until they find the time to come and get them. That outta get the ball rollin.

Where in North Texas are you? I have several contacts with wild life rehabbers that I have volunteered at in the past and can get these babies the help they need to be returned to the wild if you would like. Please let me know.

Just don't answer and plea the 1st + 5th
tongue.png

Obviously don't dump them in the lake.

They're wood ducks. I also doubt they were abandoned. You probably didn't see the hen who was hiding, and the new ducklings didn't know to. You can feed medicated starter (that's a myth that will not die). If you have no experience with ducks, I would guess your success will be 0. Wood ducks are not like mallards (easy).

Clint

Quote:
Momma duck would risk her life for her babies.
wink.png

Obviously you haven't worked with wild ducks. Lots of times we'll see broods in the field without the hen. Sometimes she's hiding from us, othertimes she's off somewhere else (based on the radio transmitter on the hen). If they're that young, she's probably not somewhere else, but often is hiding.

Clint

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom