Abandoned ducklings...What to do? *pic added!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by downy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. downy

downy New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    Hi! We found an obviously abandoned bunch of babies. I believe they're about a day old, maybe 2. They're dark gray with a stripe going from the corners of their eyes. They have black feet. I'm actually not sure if they're ducks for geese. Any way of knowing the difference? Is there a site out there so I could browse breed picks to figure it out? Fortunately I've raised chickens so I had to supplies and they're at a neighbor's house now. Any chance anyone in the N. Texas area would like to adopt them? There's 13 but we can still hear a few scattered around but it's dark and we can't see them... I'm hoping we find them tomorrow. There's no sign of mama anywhere....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They might be Canada goslings. Or, they could be muscovies. You can Google both and see what you have. If they're Canada goslings, then you would have to hand them off to someone who does wildlife rehabilitation. If they're muscovies, you can probably keep and raise them, but I would check on that. Texas has a "natural" population of muscovies, but they live mostly in southwest Texas, so you're probably safe.

Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Well first of all [​IMG] , and dont NOT give them MEDICATED chicke starter. It could kill them for you breed question try this site Feathersite.com I would also try to go find the babies as there are MANY predators looking for an easy meal. Hey if you want to bring them up to oklahoma city Ill take them!

4. downy

downy New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks for your help! I use unmedicated chick feed so we're good there. I just realized I had taken a quick picture:

[​IMG]

They were in a cat carrier. Any ideas on breed? Thanks again!

5. lilchicklets2

lilchicklets2 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    ohhhh they are so cute!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Malllards, I would guess?

6. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    My first thought was Mallards too. Poor little babies.

7. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I am in Northeast Texas and I would LOVE to take those darlings off your hands and raise them !!!!!! [​IMG] Where exactly are you located? I am in Winnsboro zip 75494. [​IMG]

8. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    They're either wood ducks or Mandarin ducks. I'm not an expert.[​IMG] Good luck!

9. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG]

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

keep m warm about 85 degrees...and shallow water always. SOOOOoooo cute! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by