Abandoned egg chirping???? Small crack in another one HELP ME

Aug 28, 2019
Bedias,Tx
Sorry for the confusion, we have 2 broody hens so we decided to try to hatch some babies. Well yesterday hen in #1 box had a egg hatch. Well that made hen in #2 box go get in #1 box where the baby was.
They did lay in there own box last night but I do not think they have been back since 10 am .
So I did just bring the 6 eggs left inside and there is one with a crack in it and another one is definitely chirping . Got them in a brooder box set up. What else can I do?

TIA

I took me about a week to get the left baby that hatched and made it out with the others that had hatched under the hen and she'd gotten off the nest, was kicking myself for not checking to toss eggs sooner, found 2 and 1 made it one didn't. sometimes they hear them and may be why the other hen moved over as was impatient to be a momma hen. I used a tupperware lid I'd lost the container for as it's shallow for water and another for feed. they should be find if they are due in the brooder but you need to find some humidity so they don't get shrink wrapped, eve if it is a paper towel with warm water to wrap the egg in. who knew all them lids ya just keep handing around were good for something lol.

Sometimes you can get the hen back on them that went to try and take over the other nest

Just keep them warm and watch them. When I was a kid, our chickens free ranged the yard and chicks (chickens and ducks) were a common annual occurrence. My sis and I were pros at finding the nests and keeping watch. As soon as momma was out with the new babies, we would go to the nest and bring in any eggs we thought were still alive and place them under a desk lamp for heat (we weren’t that sophisticated back then ;)).

We once brought a duckling back to life. The little beak was sticking out of the shell, it was ice cold, and some ants had already gotten into it. I watched over that little egg like a hawk and eventually (what seemed like forever) that little beaked moved, then a little while later, it cheeped. I removed the ants as they crawled out of the shell and that duckling eventually hatched (I may have helped it out a little) and she lived a full, healthy life.

Moral of the story: there’s always a chance you can help them out, so don’t give up even when the odds are against you :love.

Just keep them warm and watch them. When I was a kid, our chickens free ranged the yard and chicks (chickens and ducks) were a common annual occurrence. My sis and I were pros at finding the nests and keeping watch. As soon as momma was out with the new babies, we would go to the nest and bring in any eggs we thought were still alive and place them under a desk lamp for heat (we weren’t that sophisticated back then ;)).

We once brought a duckling back to life. The little beak was sticking out of the shell, it was ice cold, and some ants had already gotten into it. I watched over that little egg like a hawk and eventually (what seemed like forever) that little beaked moved, then a little while later, it cheeped. I removed the ants as they crawled out of the shell and that duckling eventually hatched (I may have helped it out a little) and she lived a full, healthy life.

Moral of the story: there’s always a chance you can help them out, so don’t give up even when the odds are against you :love.
Not giving up is exactly what I'm doing . This is my first go at the hatching thing and its truly amazing...
Tks for the advice

20190922_191844.jpg
20190922_192016.jpg
20190922_191541.jpg

They are growing so fast. Today was their first day out to free range with the others

Back
Top Bottom