Abandoned egg, cold but duckling still alive in shell

clhbubba

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Oklahoma
One of my Muscovy hens hatched 3 ducklings over the last 2 days. I guess she figured she was done and left the nest this afternoon. I was removing the eggs and just for the heck of it held them to my ear. Much to my surprise one of the cold eggs had a chick moving and peeping inside it. I put it in the incubator with some chicken eggs that are pipping. What are the odds this duckling will be able to hatch since it was cold? Will it be too weak or is there a chance it can hatch on it's own? I know there's no certainty but anyones two cents worth would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
No, there is no pip yet and the third and last duckling of the bunch hatched night before last. I'm worried this one will die in the shell because it's too weak, yet I don't want to kill it by helping too soon. I'm so torn!

I would just let it go.. because if you help you stand a more chance of hurting it. Plus, I'd rather know that the duck was too weak to hatch than me trying to help but really hurting the poor thing.

I read on here the other day that a woman peeled one open that she thought was dead, but to her surprise...it was alive. So she wrapped wet paper towels around it & a warm cloth & it lived. Maybe if worse came to worse...you could do that:/ Believe me...I have no clue about this stuff..I just read it & thought I would throw that out to you incase you felt you needed to save it. GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted please.

Last edited:
Not a good ending. I checked the egg before I went to bed and there was no noise or movement. I opened it and the duckling had already died. I wish I had just opened it 2 hours earlier when I heard it peeping inside. I knew it was overdue. I even rubbed it for a while trying to stimulate it but it was already gone. So sad.

I'm sooo sorry to hear this.
sad.png
{{{HUGS}}}

Back
Top Bottom