Abandoned Gosling

leggomyegg0

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Robbins
This morning at around 9:30 I went to feel my animals... My goose was no longer on her nest but I went over to count the eggs to see how many she had hatched... there was a very wet gosling that at first I thought was dead... It looked at me, kicked it's leg as if to say "I'm here, please help me" and I scooped it up, stuck it in my shirt and that is where it has spent the last few hours... It's dry now, but very uncordinated... I haven't much experience with water fowl, so I'm not sure if that is normal... Some chicks seem wobbly for a few hours and then quickly learn how to get around...I'm hopping I found this little one in time, but any suggestions would be appreciated... My warming incubator is about ready for the gosling to go into... I plan to feed it hard boiled eggs, I have chick feed on hand, but it's medicated... I don't think that is good for geese...

Any tips or pointers for raising a lone gosling are appreciated!

I have African goslings, and Toulouse goslings, they got into the medicated chick feed and didnt bother them. Otherwise they were eating regular chick feed (gal at the feed store told me it would be ok, but now wondering if she is of mind the more time I spend there). I am a newbie at this as well, but sounds to me like you are doing awesome, I bet the little guy is adorable! keep us updated I would love to here how baby does!

Thanks for the reply... did you hatch yours out? I am wondering how long it is normal for them to be so wobbly... She keeps fipping herself over in the incubator.

Unfortunately I did not hatch mine, but I can tell you that my babies were anything but graceful.

I dont know how old mine were when I got them, but they were pretty young, they tripped over their own feet and each other for a awhile after I did get them, they are 4-7 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom