Abdomen filling with fluid

Alliesmom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
IMG_2043.JPG
i have a hen who is probably about 2 years and noticed she has swelling in her lower abdomen. I initially thought egg bound but that doesn't seem to be the case. I thought maybe peritonitis. Tried to drain area and got about 20cc of a dark brown fluid lower right quadrant. Tried the left quadrant but wasn't able to
Withdraw fluid. I stopped after it seemed it was stressing her too much.

I have a call into my vet but probably won't hear back until tomorrow.

Want to see if anyone else has had this happen or any suggestions. I attached some pictures too.

IMG_2044.JPG

I have had a few of my hens recently pass/made the decision to PTS from huge abdomen swelling. We drained a few and the liquid was lighter than yours and yolk came out too. Good luck with your lady - let us know what the vet thinks.

I agree with the others, could be cancer or Ascites. Usually the fluid I have seen from Ascites is yellow, but I suppose it could be another color. Whatever the cause - cancer, Ascites, etc., they have similar symptoms. Draining the fluid can give relief for a period time.

I'm sorry but it doesn't look good. Love her up and do the best you can to make her comfortable:hugs

:hugs:hugsHi There!
My girl had this condition and eventually passed in January :( We drained the fluid periodically for about 5 months and she was comfortable and happy. But the last time the fluid was drained, she had a really hard time and did not recover. She had some type of tumor the vet could feel which cause her ascites. So sorry I don't have a better experience to share :hugs

Back
Top Bottom