Abdomen filling with fluid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alliesmom, May 18, 2017.

1. Alliesmom

Alliesmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    IMG_2043.JPG i have a hen who is probably about 2 years and noticed she has swelling in her lower abdomen. I initially thought egg bound but that doesn't seem to be the case. I thought maybe peritonitis. Tried to drain area and got about 20cc of a dark brown fluid lower right quadrant. Tried the left quadrant but wasn't able to
    Withdraw fluid. I stopped after it seemed it was stressing her too much.

I have a call into my vet but probably won't hear back until tomorrow.

Want to see if anyone else has had this happen or any suggestions. I attached some pictures too.

IMG_2044.JPG

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I hate to say this, and I hope I'm wrong. I was always told a chicken with fluid in the abdomen is caused by cancer.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I'm not too familiar with the situation, but it may be ascites.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. BirdNerdSophie

BirdNerdSophie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Surrey, UK.
    I have had a few of my hens recently pass/made the decision to PTS from huge abdomen swelling. We drained a few and the liquid was lighter than yours and yolk came out too. Good luck with your lady - let us know what the vet thinks.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree with the others, could be cancer or Ascites. Usually the fluid I have seen from Ascites is yellow, but I suppose it could be another color. Whatever the cause - cancer, Ascites, etc., they have similar symptoms. Draining the fluid can give relief for a period time.

I'm sorry but it doesn't look good. Love her up and do the best you can to make her comfortable:hugs

7. calichicken

calichicken Chillin' With My Peeps

:hugs:hugsHi There!
    My girl had this condition and eventually passed in January :( We drained the fluid periodically for about 5 months and she was comfortable and happy. But the last time the fluid was drained, she had a really hard time and did not recover. She had some type of tumor the vet could feel which cause her ascites. So sorry I don't have a better experience to share :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by