Able To Keep Button Quail Tame?

SavageChick

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Savage, MN
Not sure if this will work. If it does, I apologize for all the discussion going on in the background. I wanted to share a video of my buddy button quail, Parker. He was my lone survivor from my first hatch of three eggs, so he gets a lot of attention. I've never raised button quail before, but this little guy's personality got me hooked pretty quickly. I've raised chickens that were really tame, but don't know too much yet about buttons. I'm wondering if anyone else has been able to keep their button quail tame into adulthood, or if they reach a stage where their "wild" instincts kick in?

I can't see why not? How many weeks old is your button? My daughters Texas A&M acts the the same exact way when she pets him. He will sit there just like a cat waiting to be petted. Hers is 6 weeks old. I'm considering clipping his wings because on occasion, he will launch himself across the room flapping away.

I wish I could let ours fly around in the house like that, but we have a cat who would love the opportunity to eat one for lunch. I am going to have to wait until the weather warms up around here before they can fly around outdoors. It's fun to hear that your daughter's quail is also tame. My little guy is 16 days old. I wish I could have gotten it on video, but one of the things he does is shakes his entire body down into the cup of my hand, ruffles his feathers, and kind of bathes himself just like you see the adults do in a sand bath. So cute when he does this. I am calling him a "he" because he seems to be making the crowing/calling sound like the adult males.

Back
Top Bottom