Abnormal alive embryo day 18...

connieconnie

Songster
Apr 19, 2020
UK
So I just candled my eggs today (day 18 of the incubation) and one of my cream legbar eggs is weird. It's 100% alive; moving around like crazy, beautiful veins all over etc. But it's half the size of the other emrbyos. It's only taking up about 3/7ths of the space in the egg. It's looks like a 13-15 day development, but it's supposed to be day 18. All the other eggs have filled their shells and are completely dark when candling.

My question, is has anybody else had an experience with something like this? Does anybody know if it'll be able to hatch?

I plan on candling it once the other's have hatched and ready to come out the incubator, to see if it's still alive and developing and just a bit late to the party. If it's still alive, I'll leave it in the incubator for a few more days.

Weird!

You could have a weird cool spot in the incubator that would cause it to develop slower. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So would that mean it might hatch if I keep it in the incubator? :fl

I'm also thinking it might be a genetic thing, like dwarfism? Or just slow growth? Maybe it has a lethal gene?

I'm hatching them in a brand new (as in literally just brought it and is the first time I'm using it) Brinsea max ii incubator. So I really doubt there is a cool spot, I've also got several thermometers all in different areas of the incubator and they're all reading the same. If this happens again with a new batch in the same spot, you will definitely be right!

Could it be caused by disease? https://www.researchgate.net/figure...ted-embryo-a-with-haemorrhagic_fig2_284559990

Found this image (warning is looking at dead chicken embryos).
So It could be a dwarfed embryo caused by disease? I think there are other diseases that can cause this.

Dwarfism in the embryo also might be caused by a thyroid issue or some genetic growth hormone issue? Maybe it'll hatch as a dwarf?

All of these look like the embryo usually dies and doesn't hatch, and if it does, it might have some issues (I especially don't want some disease to spread to the other chicks and chickens...).

So I'm a little worried. From what I found it seems pretty rare and unusual. Please let me know if you find any information or know anything that might cause dwarfism at the embryonic stage, or stunted growth in the embryo. Thank you 💛

Could it be caused by disease? https://www.researchgate.net/figure...ted-embryo-a-with-haemorrhagic_fig2_284559990

Found this image (warning is looking at dead chicken embryos).
So It could be a dwarfed embryo caused by disease? I think there are other diseases that can cause this.

Dwarfism in the embryo also might be caused by a thyroid issue or some genetic growth hormone issue? Maybe it'll hatch as a dwarf?

All of these look like the embryo usually dies and doesn't hatch, and if it does, it might have some issues (I especially don't want some disease to spread to the other chicks and chickens...).

So I'm a little worried. From what I found it seems pretty rare and unusual. Please let me know if you find any information or know anything that might cause dwarfism at the embryonic stage, or stunted growth in the embryo. Thank you 💛
You are way over thinking this.

Just because your incubator is new does not mean there's not a hot or cold spot.

Some eggs just don't develop well...you will never be able to diagnose the exact reason unless you send the egg to a lab.

You are way over thinking this.

Just because your incubator is new does not mean there's not a hot or cold spot.

Some eggs just don't develop well...you will never be able to diagnose the exact reason unless you send the egg to a lab.

Okay, was just curious to see if other people have similar experience.

I studied biology at university, which is why I'm super curious to see if there is a genetic component 😊 I understand it's unlikely to find out exactly what is causing it, but that won't stop me from trying to figure it out. As if it is a cold spot, I would like to know for next time! (Although I'm pretty sure it's not, as I have multiple calibrated thermometers in different areas of the incubator to check for them, but that doesn't rule it out).

Okay, was just curious to see if other people have similar experience.

I studied biology at university, which is why I'm super curious to see if there is a genetic component 😊 I understand it's unlikely to find out exactly what is causing it, but that won't stop me from trying to figure it out. As if it is a cold spot, I would like to know for next time! (Although I'm pretty sure it's not, as I have multiple calibrated thermometers in different areas of the incubator to check for them, but that doesn't rule it out).
I doubt it's a cold spot...and I'm sure there's a million guesses of what it could be...I just didn't want you to stress about it. It happens.

I had one or two like that. Very small, with a lot of what looked like "empty" space in the egg. They had veins and were moving and all that, made it to lockdown, but died at some point during lockdown. It wasn't cold spots, because I too had multiple calibrated thermometers in different parts of the incubator. I don't know what caused it, but my eggs were shipped from coast to coast so I expected issues, and just figured it was shipping trauma or something (those eggs always had weird misshapen air cells throughout development, too).

Back
Top Bottom