Abnormal Prolapse

run2land

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Hello I have a chicken with what appears to be a prolapse, but it is however a bit more gruesome looking than others I have seen online.

I have isolated her, as well as washed her thoroughly. She is in a dog kennel right now covered in moving blankets to prevent light and I am reducing her food to twice a day.

I will be applying honey to the wound, however, I wonder if I should be touching her injured area much at this time while it is so swollen and aggravated.

It has been two days since we think she prolapsed (she was with the other hens for this time as we were unaware of her injury) and we haven't seen the other hens being cannibalistic towards her, so I don't know if the bleeding is from the severeness of the prolapse, of if she was actually getting pecked.

I have heard different advice as to whether I should push the prolapse back in, or if I should leave it out for a few days before trying.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Bumping your thread in hopes you'll get some advice from someone knowledgable. Hope it works out.

Welcome to BYC. That is a pretty bad prolapse, and I would suspect the others pecked her. I would check to see if their might be an egg in that red bulge. If not, I think you are supposed to push it back in as quickly as possible because it will dry out and the tissue will become dead. Honey, preparation H are good for swelling, and lubricant can be used to to push it back in. It is normal for them to pop back out over a day or two (if you can get it back inside.) I'm not sure that you are going to have much success since this looks so large, and it has been awhile, but it is worth trying. Keeping the area clean of poop is usually a problem. Epsom salt warm baths when she gets soiled may help. Placing her in a dark room or covered cage for 16 hours a day, and reducing her feed some (but not water) may help her to stop laying within a couple of days.

Last edited:
That is a big prolapse that does look like it was pecked and starting to dry out. Try to keep it moistened! Like eggcessive says check for an egg in the bulge and try to ease it out. I would put on gloves put ky on it or even neosporin then try to work it back inside. You may have to hold it in for a bit to get it to stay. You can even use a pressure bandage to try to get it to stay in place. Taking it off to check and allow her to poo. (If she is able)
http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

Gently squeezed the bulge and reinserted. Found two quarter size red blobs about the same size as an egg yolk inside. They came out in procession, one after the other.

It looks like her vent is split up the middle?? From the very end of the protruding section, it appears to have a split? Not bleeding from this portion so it might just be a part of the anatomy, but it does seem odd.

She has only pooped once since I started this thread, the area toward her breast from the wound seems a bit enlarged (very few feathers to cover) so I am thinking she is backed up. Anything I can do?? I'd be half expecting her so become septic by the end of tonight but I haven't been feeding her anything (and I don't plan to for at least a day).

Back
Top Bottom