Abnormal quail behavior!

The quail obsessed person

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2020
I have 3 female quail all the same age. One is being picked on by another (chasing her around and pecking at her) the 3rd one is fine. I have put the one who is being picked on seperate to the others and she seems happier. In the morning I will let them out together and check on them all day. I thought it might be a pecking order but they have been together with no boys for 2 1/2 months. Please help I don't know whether to lock the one that's being picked on away on the one doing it. Many thanks,
Georgia

Same here, ... I had one hen killing nearly three other hens, till I could identify her.

Normally I had culled her, but she belongs to my daughter. Interestingwise, now, as she is living alone, she is happy. This bird is total related to humans and does not accept other quail near her.

As long as I or my daughter look after her regular, she is happy. So many characters these birds can have 🤔

Yeah some females are really mean i had 2 boys and 7 gals courtaix quail one girls really mean and so was one of the boys sadly rehomed those two now have 1 boy 6 gals perfectly happy quail can turn fast sometimes and cause a lot of bloodshed any way if seperayed u could get her some buddies so she doesnt get lonely they are very sociable birds xxx

Yeah some females are really mean i had 2 boys and 7 gals courtaix quail one girls really mean and so was one of the boys sadly rehomed those two now have 1 boy 6 gals perfectly happy quail can turn fast sometimes and cause a lot of bloodshed any way if seperayed u could get her some buddies so she doesnt get lonely they are very sociable birds xxx

Yes, they are very social. But this special quail wants to be alone, in case of other quail.
Her social behaviour points to humans ... strange but true.

I'm curious what your cage setup is. I have hens who DO NOT get along in confinement (e.g. "quail hospital"), but do well in their aviary where they have room to run and "furniture" to break up line of sight. A fix might be as simple as adding more cover.

Separate your hurt one if she's bleeding, otherwise separate the bully and see how the other two get along.

If they're killing or almost killing othet birds, they need to be separated or culled. Giving buddies will just make the problem worse

Back
Top Bottom