About 10 hens and only 2 are laying

OP said ladies and "gents" so I'm assuming maybe more than one male? How are the males behaving? If they're too pushy with mating that can possibly add stress and affect
Yea I have 2 Roos one is the one in the pic he’s the boss the other is much younger. Honestly they aren’t aggressive at all. The only 2 that are laying are giving me fertile eggs.

some of the ones I added were 2 months old which was back in April and the I added a couple more that were already laying they laid like the first 4 days and stopped
If these girls laid all winter, this might be their "break". I have seen that with hens that start laying in the fall that they will go through the winter and take a big break in either the spring or summer.

I would have thought it was the move, but 3 months is plenty of time to get used to things.

I have a flock of around 20 that goes up and down in members, and you would be amazed at how much the eggs go up and down. In the summer the most I get is 15 and the lowest I get is 4, but more typically I see somewhere between 12 and 6. I have one blue egg layer, and she will lay for a few months and then stop for months without reason. It is obvious with her, but I assume the others do it too, so it shows that their egg-laying is temperamental at best.

Also, forgive me if this is redundant, but if they are ever without water that they want to drink egg laying can drop significantly. I had a waterer in the run that seemed fine to me, but they just didn't want to drink out of it. They wanted a waterer outside on the ground with water freshened into it at least every day (princesses :rolleyes:). So that is another thing you want to be on the lookout for.

As for washing the coop, totally your choice, but just know that you don't need to do it that often. You wouldn't want to never clean it, but cleaning out less frequently won't harm them. Also, you may be interested in trying poop boards under the roosts. That way the droppings collect in one place and you can clean that off every couple of days and what ends up on the ground can be covered with shavings and cleared out every couple weeks or so. Your choice, but if it starts to drive you nuts you can switch up your management so that it works better for you and they will not suffer.

What chickens do you have and where do you live as in country
This is a good question. Is it super hot where you are? That can cause a drop in egg production.

What color are their combs?
This is an indicator of health and fertility. Their combs should all be red and full if they are going to be laying, and can help alert you to something being off.

Back
Top Bottom