About 10 hens and only 2 are laying

AnelysFL

Hatching
May 19, 2023
Hi everyone so I am new to chicken owning! I got most of my ladies and gents back in February and March and I’ve bought a couple over time some older. I have about 7 girls that should be laying per age but only 2 of them are laying and very consistent almost every day. So what’s wrong 😑. They mostly free range all day their coop door is open they go in as they please. I am OCD and clean out and scrub their coops every week. They have fresh water they get fed very good. And I’ve changed their feed already but no difference. I need answers lol. Na just want to know if anyone experienced this and what helped fix it. Pic of some of the freeloaders attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpeg
    IMG_7219.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
I'm a little confused, it sounds like some just started laying or are about to (5-6 months), but you also have some that are older. Did they lay more frequently and then drop? Or have some of them just not started?

Many breeds can take up to six months to start laying, and even then you want to make sure they are actually laying in the boxes, and that no predator could take them.

Also an aside, you probably don't want to scrub the coop often. It is actually better to just dry scrape everything or have poop boards because you won't invite mold from the extra moisture of washing, and most cleaning products (especially bleach) is really bad for their respiratory systems. I don't think this is related to the lack of eggs, but it may help them to do better overall.

Chicken not laying could be a lot of reasons - too young, too old, weather too cold, too hot. Chicken goes broody, is moulting, or being sick, to name a few.

2 out of 10 laying is not bad. Two months ago, none of my 11 birds were laying for about a month. I have got 5 cockerels (now in a bachelor pad), 2 old easter egger hens that were also going through moulting, 1 broody hen with 1 chick & 2 young barnevelder pullets.

Also do check for their hiding nests, lock them up until the hens lay consistently in the spot you want them to lay.

They mostly free range all day

Have you checked the free range area for hidden nests, or conversely locked them in the run for a couple of days to make sure they're not laying while ranging?
Ditto Dat!!

Might be time for some exams:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I'm a little confused, it sounds like some just started laying or are about to (5-6 months), but you also have some that are older. Did they lay more frequently and then drop? Or have some of them just not started?

Many breeds can take up to six months to start laying, and even then you want to make sure they are actually laying in the boxes, and that no predator could take them.

Also an aside, you probably don't want to scrub the coop often. It is actually better to just dry scrape everything or have poop boards because you won't invite mold from the extra moisture of washing, and most cleaning products (especially bleach) is really bad for their respiratory systems. I don't think this is related to the lack of eggs, but it may help them to do better overall.
So yes it was a little confusing I only started with 8 but have been adding some as I go. Have about 30 now. But some of the ones I added were 2 months old which was back in April and the I added a couple more that were already laying they laid like the first 4 days and stopped. So yea about 7 to 10 ish that should be laying. I scrub because it just gets so nasty and I can take the dry scraping I feel like it’s not fully clean. I just use dawn nothing crazy. And I let the coops completely dry before restocking with bedding. Oh and the only 2 that are laying are indeed using the nesting boxes I would lock them in the coops for a while so they could get the hang of it. I have also searched all around the yard and nothing.

Back
Top Bottom