Hens not laying!

Aug 31, 2021
Okay friends I’m getting super tired of my freeloaders! All my hens are around 2 years old, all heritage breeds except for a couple that are only 1. I expected them to slow down their laying but not completely stop! I haven’t received any eggs since early spring where I received only a few (mostly from the 1 year olds) and then before that they stopped laying for winter.

Things I’ve done: downsized to 1 rooster for my 9 hens AND expanded their run so they have fresh grass to snack on.

They always have fresh water and access to layer feed as well as kitchen scraps.

At this point I’m just wondering what’s taking them so long to get laying again and if they’re molting what can I do to speed the process.

I am seeing quite a few feathers so I do mostly suspect molting but it just seems like molting shouldn’t take 6 months plus 😅
Help!

Okay friends I’m getting super tired of my freeloaders! All my hens are around 2 years old, all heritage breeds except for a couple that are only 1. I expected them to slow down their laying but not completely stop! I haven’t received any eggs since early spring where I received only a few (mostly from the 1 year olds) and then before that they stopped laying for winter.

Things I’ve done: downsized to 1 rooster for my 9 hens AND expanded their run so they have fresh grass to snack on.

They always have fresh water and access to layer feed as well as kitchen scraps.

At this point I’m just wondering what’s taking them so long to get laying again and if they’re molting what can I do to speed the process.

I am seeing quite a few feathers so I do mostly suspect molting but it just seems like molting shouldn’t take 6 months plus 😅
Help!
There's many factors. Have you changed ANYTHING at all since they last laid? Chickens don't like changes. Are they hiding the eggs? Look really good. You would be surprised. If they are molting, up their protein. I feed Black oil sunflower seed.

I hear you! I had three orpington, but one died at the beginning of April. The other two go into the nesting box every day, but I only get one or two eggs a week. This is beyond ridiculous as they are only 15 months old. At first, I thought it was due to the death of one, but it's now over two months. I am seriously considering culling.

It is a very common problem, and is much more obvious when you only have a couple hens. I have about 20 birds and they all take turns laying and taking breaks, so I don't always notice the ebb and flow that each one has.

If they are older than 2 years, it may be natural to slow down. If they are younger something may be wrong, or they may be a breed that lays with less frequency. That isn't bad, because they will lay more eggs over the course of their life, and are less likely to have reproductive issues that could kill them, and lead to stress for the chicken owner. I prefer that personally, because it is less hassle for me, and they still do lay.

Back
Top Bottom