About Bleeding Chickens

summerchic

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Question is my dog just killed a chicken and I know nothing about bleeding, scalding etc
Can I leave it in the refrigerator and deal with this later today or is it trash?

Quote:
Unless there is a neighbor across the fence...
Just toss the bird carcass, and make sure the dog doesnt go near the birds again. Kick him if need be, and i would also put all hens in a pen.-

This is a graphic post, but it would be a good read for you if you haven't done a chicken processing before:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

I wouldn't wait until tomorrow, I'd do it now. There was a post recently where someone left the insides in overnight and if I'm remembering correctly, it altered the taste of the meat.

My schnauzer might be tempted to kill a chicken as well. I wouldn't beat him for it. I wouldn't encourage it - but I wouldn't beat him for it either.

Quote:
Just toss the bird carcass, and make sure the dog doesnt go near the birds again. Kick him if need be, and i would also put all hens in a pen.-

Why does she need to toss a perfectly good bird? If the dog isn't sick, I'd eat the bird.

Now if you told me a raccoon just killed the bird - I wouldn't eat it.... but many folks in this section still would.

P.S.... I still wouldn't kick the dog.

Welcome to BYC, Summer. I forgot to say it in an earlier post
smile.png

If you don't have time to scald and pluck, you might consider skinning the chicken, but i wouldn't want to leave the guts in overnight. Besides, if you wait until tomorrow, the bird will be stiff and harder to work with.

We simply put them in the trash and take it immediately outside and into the trash bins. I personally would like to bury them, but I'm not the one in charge of that.

Make sure your dog knows that he did something VERY bad.

EDIT: Then again, our dog doesn't kill chickens... they're only killed by the neighbors' dogs, hawks, and coons.

Last edited:
My dog "played" with two of my chickens...and I beat the S**T out of him and he knew why...haven't had a problem since. The key to this is they have to know why...and you can tell by the look on their face. Every decent dog needs at least one good whoopin' once in his life. They are pack animals...let him know that you are the alpha dog and the chickens are YOURS. I've had a lot of dogs in my time....I can't live without them...seriously.

Quote:

For me, it depends if I like the neighbor or not..........

I'll agree with Itsy. No point in wasting a good meal.
Mitch

Last edited:
Quote:
I've never lifted my hand to a dog and they still respect and listen to me as the pack leader. I completely disagree that "every decent dog needs at least one good whoopin' once in his life." No dog - decent or undecent deserves a "whoopin'"

If you can train your dogs properly with positive reinforcement in an appropriate manner - there is NEVER a need to hit an animal. I couldn't feel more strongly about this topic.

Edited to say: The OP asked about "Bleeding Chickens" as this topic is named....NOT HOW TO REPRIMAND THEIR DOG.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom