? About chicken feed

I was feeding starter, grower and then layer and I found I was going through so much feed.. I decided to switch to home fermented grains. So far everyone is doing great! They eat less too.. my shells have never looked better. I still feed starter to the babies and then my grower is cut in half with fermented grains, which they usually eat the grains and leave the grower for last and the adults get fermented grains, scraps with eggs shells and sometimes broken eggs. See how it goes over the winter, but I'm very happy with it right now.

Maybe a dumb question but here goes... what benefit does the medicated food have for chicks? I’ll be having some in a few weeks so I gotta get my plan together. Suggestions welcome.

Maybe a dumb question but here goes... what benefit does the medicated food have for chicks? I’ll be having some in a few weeks so I gotta get my plan together. Suggestions welcome.

Prevents coccidiosis.
Baby chicks are susceptible to coccidiosis, and it can kill them within a few days' time.
As they grow, they usually develop an immunity to it.

Baby chicks can be vaccinated, or you can feed medicated feed, or you can treat with medicine in their water. Some people do none of those and have no problems, other people find that they must either vaccinate or medicate--I think it has a lot to do with climate and exact details of the brooder setup.

I was feeding starter, grower and then layer and I found I was going through so much feed.. I decided to switch to home fermented grains. So far everyone is doing great! They eat less too.. my shells have never looked better. I still feed starter to the babies and then my grower is cut in half with fermented grains, which they usually eat the grains and leave the grower for last and the adults get fermented grains, scraps with eggs shells and sometimes broken eggs. See how it goes over the winter, but I'm very happy with it right now.
What kind of grain do you ferment? I ferment so.e of the starter feed for mine. Was looking into other things too for when they are a bit older.

Back
Top Bottom