About how much food would 32 chickens eat per month?

I think one very important factor is the kind of chicken that you have.
smile.png

I got 3 in one area that eats as much as 12 that I have in another area.

Yes, some of my chickens are "economical eaters, and good foragers" like they say on the hatchery websites. My Golden Campines eat far less than my Buff Orpingtons and Golden Sex Links, and are supposed to lay a medium egg, instead of large.

I'll take that medium egg! SOOOO much less feed per day.

Quote:
Where is your local feed mill at? In Big Rapids I pay around 13 per bag I believe.

In Moline (just south of Grand Rapids). It's the Moline Co-Op Feed Mill in downtown Moline. They grind their own layer feed there (a few bucks cheaper than the name brand layer feeds) so they know what goes into it.

Quote:
Whaaaat?!?!

$350 a month thats almost 30 bags (at $12.00 per 50 lb bag) 30 bags equals 1500 lb of feed.

Your friends must be feeding hundreds of rats and mice along with their 68 chickens.

LOL

Quote:
Whaaaat?!?!

$350 a month thats almost 30 bags (at $12.00 per 50 lb bag) 30 bags equals 1500 lb of feed.

Your friends must be feeding hundreds of rats and mice along with their 68 chickens.

LOL

idunno.gif
That's what she told me, they must be a bunch of bottomless pits!
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is cheap! The cheapest I've ever found food for is almost twice that, and if you buy organic (I don't due to price, it will run you nearly $30 per bag!). I now buy locally produced, much of it organic from a farm somewhat nearby for about $16 per 50lbs.

As you can tell, there's lots of variety here!

I have 27 (24 hens and 3 roosters), plus an additional 8 juvies. They are free ranged for 3-4 hours each day. I get between 12-15 eggs/day. I go through approx. 100 lbs of feed each week. Oh yeah, I had two broodies, but one just gave up.

My wife is in charge of selling the eggs and she sells them, depending on size, for between $2 and $3/doz.

ETA: Feed is $16/50#bag

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom