about month old quail with broken leg, help with treating

Little girl is looking more like a boy. He seemed to be doing fine but is now limping and hesitates to walk at all. I examined the leg and it is really swollen where the break appeared to be and it seems like a blood filled bubble like a tire tube around the point has developed. I gave a small bit of antibiotics by mouth, broke open and drained some of the blood then applied topical antibiotics. Any suggestions as to how I can best treat this injury now?

If you have access to an avian or exotic vet, I would recommend talking with them and getting some of their advice.

So this weird. My little broken leg quail is completely fine this morning. No absess only a slight limp. She irony her healed over night or the absess was on a different quail and I have no idea how that happened. The one who had the break still had a small bit of tape on her feathers so I can tell her. I have to search for the pone I treated for the absess.

Oh I did definitely for just a moment when I wrote. I discovered the little gal with the now healed broken leg and her leg looked fine. Then I found the one with the abscess and who looks to be a male. He is a little younger. His leg is looks better now with the antibiotic treatment I gave. Funny but I had just assumed every time I saw one limping it was the same one. Little did I know I had TWO with leg injuries. Im still left wondering what happened to this little fella to cause his apparent infection. The leg at the ankle near the foot is swollen and the skin is sort of bubbled. When I put antibiotic on it I noted that a bit of blood oozed from the bubble where I applied it. It is very strange. I dont think his leg is broken, just abscessed. I wonder if a bee stung him. I have had occasional bees show up in the area where I keep the quail. That is all I can think of that might have occurred.

I wanted to share some pics I just took. The top one shows both quail. The one standing on the right had the broken leg and she is doing pretty well though she is very shy and prefers to stay away from the other older quail so she stays in the brooder with the babies a lot of the time.

The top pic shows the one with the abscess in his favorite position, sitting. I took a close up of his leg so you can see what Im describing as an abscess. Any ideas what is going on?

Well with help from another thread posting this picture I found a piece of my hair wrapped around his little leg. I removed the hair and applied more antibiotics and yesterday afternoon the wound was looking a lot better. At least I now know that this injury was not the result of the broken leg like I had first assumed. That little girl is doing very well and the limp is very slight if at all today.

Thank you. My little guy was walking about and seeming not to be bothered at all by the wound on his leg. It is still puffy but as long as he is feeling well looks probably dont matter to him or the others. Once the babies make it past about 2 weeks they seem very hardy. Im relatively new to quail and very new to hatching my own. It has been a very different experience from bantam chickens and chicks.

Back
Top Bottom