Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
I wasn't sure what category to put this thread in, as this isn't really an emergency.
My quail has been sitting, quiet and frozen in the sand bath for the last hour after my younger sister (she's eight) ran past my quail cage screaming something about Nutella. My quail, who I was happily stroking and playing with, suddenly jumped out of the open roof of the enclosure and ran wild. She went and tried hiding under a nearby blanket. My sister began screaming as the quail had flown right over her.

I've never seen her this distressed. She's a happy, 5 week old female jumbo coturnix quail. I raised her as a pet, and she's been following me around the house since she hatched. She hatched in my hand and enjoys going on walks along the beach, but has always been scared of anyone that isn't me and hates loud noises. Usually she just runs towards me when she's scared and calms down after a few minutes.

Is there any way I can help calm her down, as ally usual methods aren't working. She's still sitting like this currently and I've never seen her do this before. She's not scared of me, so I don't know what she's scared of.
PXL_20230617_024102277.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention that she lives with two other quail, one male and one female, both 1-2 days younger than her

Last edited:
So, I moved her.. I probably shouldn't have, but now she's standing in the one spot I moved her to. Is she ok?

How is she doing now?
She's still there, but now the other quail are sitting with her. I placed her next to the water tray so she could hopefully drink, but I'm not sure she has. She's acting a bit more normal now, but still strange. For now I'm leaving her alone. I don't know what to do! Do you have any idea how to possibly calm her? She won't even eat her favourite treat! She usually eats anything you put in front of her, especially if it's a mealworm.

Have you noticed any discoloration in her bowel? Other than that you may just want to leave her alone for the night and let her rest. I once had a quail get stuck in a net when I was trying to band her and it completely stressed her out. I went in the next day and she was flying all over the place again.

Have you noticed any discoloration in her bowel? Other than that you may just want to leave her alone for the night and let her rest. I once had a quail get stuck in a net when I was trying to band her and it completely stressed her out. I went in the next day and she was flying all over the place again.
It looks normal. I'll just leave her alone, but I'll have to put her and the other quail back in their big cage.

I've got a smaller one, about 90x45 cm, two level and a cage that's about twice the size, again 2 storeys, for my room. I've also got a separate brooder that isn't in use. I put them in the smaller one with sun for about 2hrs daily while the sun is there.

She's still in the corner and not moving much, but seems a bit calmer. I tried moving her from the corner, but she ran straight back.

Edit: I'm planning on getting them an outdoor aviary when I move out

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom