About Muscovy's

iloveducks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
Was wondering if anyone knew about when Muscovy's start getting the red bumps on their face. I have a 5 week old baby Muscovy. Since I only have one I don't know how or when I will be able to tell it's gender. Any one know?
idunno.gif

i have a female here and she is 19 weeks, no caruncles showing yet. you'll know for sure the gender by 12 weeks, it'll be obvious in the size, you should be able to tell by 7 weeks. males with have bigger feet and legs, the head will be broader and the males feather up slightly slower than the females.

post some pics, we might be able to tell.

THe caruncaling doesn't really start to show till they get older.. my older ones are all over 4mths and it's there but no way completed especially on my drakes. As for telling gender, yeah trickier if you don't have a comparison. Do post pics, usually the hens are smaller and gain wing feathers more quickly.. the drakes are BIG not only in leg/feet size but overall.. my biggest boy is starting to rival a turkey lol (and no he's not dinner, just a pet)

Last edited:
Like everyone else said if she/he has small feet legs and just all around stature, then i would say female. Bigger = male. Post a pic and we can usually tell

My chocolate pied drake started to get pink on his face at about 8 weeks. I couldn't see it on my blue pied drake at that time. I think the color of the face and bill makes a difference. Miss Lydia was saying that tail wagging seems to be a predominantly male trait. Mine do it a lot. But I only have 2 boys so not much to compare!

Quote:
Wait , I saw this on a link someone gave me about the tail wagging which it does seem the boys do it alot, but i did see my girl wag her tail the other day. It said you can tell gender of Muscovies by the tail wagging of the drake, so now I'm not sure. But I agree on everythng else, Feet,legs and also the males tail fans out girls is at a point. and my drake who is now 3 months old started getting his carnicles at around 8-9 weeks and they really are growing in slow.

Quote:
Wait , I saw this on a link someone gave me about the tail wagging which it does seem the boys do it alot, but i did see my girl wag her tail the other day. It said you can tell gender of Muscovies by the tail wagging of the drake, so now I'm not sure. But I agree on everythng else, Feet,legs and also the males tail fans out girls is at a point. and my drake who is now 3 months old started getting his carnicles at around 8-9 weeks and they really are growing in slow.

Well I guess she didn't get the memo.
lol.png
So much for the tail wagging theory!

Quote:

Okay, how pointy is pointy in a girl vs boy tail? I've tried to look for tail pics but seem to find alot of questions about the tail and no examples.

you cant tell muscovy sex by there tails. no pointing and no wagging. its a myth, people think its true because they get i right half the time.

Back
Top Bottom