About Silkies

MyraNC

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
Central North Carolina
Hi,

I'm new here and I'm wanting to get some silkies but don't know much about them except they are good sitters and hairy. lol What is the difference with bearded and non? Are they hatched that way? And I read something about a walnut??? What is that all about? What should I get? I want hens to sit on my eggs so I don't have to do the unnatural incubator way. A hen can take better care of them.

How hard is it to take care of them with hairy legs etc? thanks-
big_smile.png

Bearded and non-bearded:
Yes they are born that way, the bearded have a little tuft of feathers under their beaks.

Walnut:
That is the kind of comb that they have.

You should get:
You'll have to get at least one cock so the eggs are fertile (I didn't understand your question, I'm pretty sure you knew about the cock).

Feather legs:
For most feather footed breeds you just have to keep them off mud, but Silkies are worse because their feathered legs are fluffy, so just be really careful about mud and they'll be fine.

Feathered legs do get nasty at times, but I've seen so many people bathe and blow dry their silkies. (Very carefully and gently, of course.)

My one silkie was my favorite, it would sit in my lap, and paid so much attention to me when I was around. It was like having a funny looking little puppy! I think you'd enjoy having them.
big_smile.png

If you would like some basic 'textbook' info on specific breeds, I prefer This Link. And for lots of pictures, feathersite.com

Oh, and welcome to the board!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back. Can they hold there own with other chickens or should the be apart? One more ? - How many eggs can they set on and hatch sucessfully?

They are coming next month, (Nov) and I am so anxious. I never got any that late in the year.

I treat them like the rest and they hold their own with the standards. However, I do house them in their own digs since I want pure eggs from them. Had a silkie roo rule the roost over standard hens twice his size if not more.

Back
Top Bottom