ABOUT THE NC OUTBREAK

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
I live in hope mills and got this email

Hi everyone,

I just talked to Jeff Hardin, tester for the state, and he told me that the outbreak in Hope Mills was not ILT at this point. He said they had tested for it and the tests were not conclusive so they have only quarantined at this point. He called the lab after he talked with me and called me back to say that the lab informed him that while it mimicked ILT it did not did not have most of the symptoms as far as the test show. He did say the birds tested positive for MG(Mycoplasma Gallisepticum). This disease resembles ILT in symptoms. It is a egg born disease meaning it can be transmitted from hen to chick through the eggs. It is a state quarantined disease but not one that they would euthanize the flock. He said they will be doing regular testing during the quarantine period and he would keep me posted.

Jeff also said that if any of us had concerns or thinks that their birds may have been exposed we should go ahead and use Terramycin in our flocks water.

name taken out/CFFF

Thanks name taken out

i cannot believe you people here i am worried about my flock that got sick from somewhere else and im getting the blame for it.......

my chickens are sick you people calling the state you should have emailed me first .......

who knows mabe it was your chicken that got mine sick

i on the other had was told they did have symptoms and they were going to test my birds so take it from the birds the mouth yes my chickens are sick but they had to get it from somewhere besides MY house

Kelley, I dont think anyone is blaming you for anything. They are just understandably concerned that there is an outbreak of this in the area. Washington State has had real troubles with this disease and some of it was because of a breeder who blatantly disregarded all the rules and protocol and was responsible for spreading it to innocent people's flocks through shows and bird sales.

Last edited:
Quote:
That is what I heard, a breeder out in WA that was responsible for spreading it around. I dont know if there WAS a lawsuit regarding to this matter or not or was it resolved. Kelley, I dont think anyone wants to point a finger at you specifically whether or not you knew of the disease or was unaware of it happening at that point. Yes its easy to blame one person for it rather that going back to the source of the person who was responsible for the outbreak the first place. That was irresponsible of that breeder to do so.

Chin up, things will get better!

i cant believe people get mad when other people are worried about EVERYONES birds.and if ANYONE near me didnt do everything,, and i MEAN EVERYTHING, to let EVERYONE in the state know what was going on,, then i'd just have to have a "talk" with them.
and where is someone blaming someone else? and why are you mad that people are concerned?
and if a person gets mad about that stuff,, mus mean they are only concerned about THEIR birds,, not the COMMUNITY.
i call it common sense,, others call it trouble,, and some others think its nobody's elses concern or problem

I think it was a good idea to contact the state and try to figure out what's going on. It's only the responsible thing to do. Thanks for letting everyone know what you found out!

I don't get it... I have 3 8 week olds that have never left the yard.... All I knew was I got the email and felt others should read it.

Thanks for the info. We live in NC and yes I was worried too.
I was planning to buy some chickens but I will wait and see how it go's.
Let's all stay positive and inform. For the chickens sake. Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom