About time!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nakactress, Nov 13, 2008.

1. nakactress

nakactress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Utah
    My EE's stopped laying in mid-august when they started molting. I don't have any extra light in the coop and only keep a heat lamp on their water to prevent freezing but they still are in "bed" at dusk.
    So I assumed between molt and shorten days, I was in for free riders until spring. 3 of my 5 spring hatched have just started laying so at least I was getting some eggs.

Low and behold I found a BIG green egg in one of the nest boxes. I'm assuming it kicked out a younger hen because I found a small egg on the floor....lol My EE's are the top chicks in flock. my younger hens are normally very good about laying in the next boxes and even though I have enough boxes they have their favorite laying spots.

It feels good to see an egg!!! I can't believe its been 3 months. I guess we just take advantage of home grown eggs.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Congrats!

3. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    I want eggs. [​IMG] Why does everyone have eggs but me? [​IMG] Darned freeloading chickens!

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:That's exactly what we're calling our girls - Dang Freeloaders!

5. nakactress

nakactress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Utah
    I have one leghorn going through a serious HARD molt and she hasn't laid in a few weeks. My buff stopped laying in August. She had a molt for about 2 weeks but she's free loading. My other EE hasn't laid and 2 of my newer gals who have been of age for awhile now have no signs of laying.

So I still have 3 gals who either haven't laid yet, 2 who haven't laid in 3 months and 1 who hasn't laid in about 3 weeks. My dh started telling them to lay or they'd become stew...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by