About To Butcher Cornish X. Need Advice!

naznaz11

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
my cornish x will be exactly 7 weeks this coming friday.

i have been feeding her organic scratch and peck starter (corn and soy free) from the very beginning. i let her roam outside everyday too. she is very fast and active.

should i butcher her no later than friday, or does she still have time before she dies?

here are some pics... she is about 1 foot tall. i included a bag of oyster shells in the picture for size comparison.

thanks

IMG_8415.JPG
IMG_8417.JPG
IMG_8419.JPG

I didnt notice as i was looking the body over, lol. What do you mean by chicken store OP? Like a tractor supply or a local feed store whom local farmers usually supply? Regardless, sexing is difficult and theres never any guarantees. That always a risk when buying chicks from anywhere or anybody though.
i bought my chicks from Wilco. it's a farm store, but i called it a chicken store lol

is there a way to tell that this cornish x is a rooster? they all look the same to me.

I have butchered a Cornish X at 16 weeks (because of some life problems) so she will be fine. Also why doesn't she have many feathers? Have the other hens been picking on her?

Ive been doing research on them for awhile because im planning on raising my own meat. From what ive gathered, i believe the average age is 8 weeks, depending on the size chicken you want. 8 kinda being the minimum. 9- 10 being preferred. But it also depends on their health and ability. Photos can be misleading, but i would prefer a more meatier bird. She doesn't seem to plump.

Is he in with other Cornish X or meat bird or is he with layers? If you have him in with layers and other non meat bird they will pick on him.
yes, they are all together lol.

i do have 1 small rooster (he is the smallest out of all of them), this cornish, and 4 hens who are 7 weeks old.

they only pick on the cornish, lol.

im actually surprised the hens pick on this rooster.. he needs to grow some chickens balls and man up.

yes, they are all together lol.

i do have 1 small rooster (he is the smallest out of all of them), this cornish, and 4 hens who are 7 weeks old.

they only pick on the cornish, lol.

im actually surprised the hens pick on this rooster.. he needs to grow some chickens balls and man up.
If you have CX with LF birds they will peck on them so that might be why she doesn't have very many feathers.

Back
Top Bottom